Chapter 16

Nothing Happened.

Edward was by Bella's side again. He touched Alice's arm, and she surrendered her to him. Aro started to laugh. "Ha, Ha, Ha," he chuckled. "This is wonderful!"

Jane hissed in frustration, leaning forward. She was ready to pounce at Bella. She was going to kill her. Jane has always hated failing. She's quite competitive and ambitious and she will do anything to be the best.

"Don't be put out, dear one," Aro said in a comforting tone, placing a hand on her shoulder. "She confounds us all." He thought for a moment as Jane's upper lip curled back over her teeth as she continued to glare at Bella.

"Kira! Your powers are quite extraordinary. You can strengthen and weaken powers and even more. I was wondering, if you could weaken Bella's shield or strengthen Jane's power. It would be amazing if you can do both?"

Edward looked at me as if he was telling me to say no. I just smirked at him.

"Of course I will Aro. It's not like Bella is my friend anyway."

I focused on weakening Bella's shield and when it did, I turned to Jane. I focused on strengthening her power.

"It's done. Jane can try now,"

As soon as I said that, Jane started. Bella fell to the floor in pain. After a while, Jane stopped when Aro told her to. Alice and Felix were holding Edward back from killing me and Jane. He was probably debating it.

"Incredible!" Aro exclaimed. He smiled at me gratefully and I smiled back. "Thank you Kira. Please can you put her shield the way it was."

I focused on Bella again and returned it to its original strength. I just nodded to Aro to say it was done.

"You both are very brave, to endure in silence. I asked Jane to do that to me once- just out of curiosity." He shook his head in admiration.

Edward glared, disgusted.

"So, what do we do with you now?" Aro sighed.

Edward and Alice stiffened. This was the part they'd been waiting for. Bella began to tremble.

"I don't suppose there's any chance that you've changed your mind?" Aro asked Edward hopefully. "Your talent would be an excellent addition to our little company."

Edward hesitated. From the corner of our eyes, we saw Felix and Jane grimace.

Edward seemed to weigh each word before he spoke it. "I'd ... rather ... not."

"Alice?" Aro asked, still hopeful. "Would you perhaps be interested in joining with us?"

"No, thank you," Alice said.

"You, Bella?"Aro raised his eyebrows.

Edward hissed, low in Bella's ears. She stared at Aro blankly.

It was Caius who broke the silence.

"What?" He demanded of Aro.

"Caius, surely you see the potential," Aro chided him affectionately. "I haven't seen a prospective talent so promising since we found Jane and Alec. Can you imagine the possibilities when she is one of us?"

Caius looked away with a caustic expression. Jane's eyes sparkled with indignation at the comparison.

"Why don't you ask Kira? She is the only one here who isn't useless and she isn't like the Cullens. She also despises Isabella," Caius asked Aro, annoyed.

"Oh! I should, shouldn't I?" Aro talked to himself. Bella looked at him weirdly, probably questioning why he is talking to himself. I'm not one to judge because I do it too. I get lonely and I talk to myself.