~ Chapter #1~

WRITER'S NOTE

Nope I'm not mistaken and yup this is the first chapter! The first 2 parts were introductions to the characters. And the ones titled 'How It All Begun Parts 1-6' were a sort of Prologue to take us to the beginning of the story and what happened before. Now that things are making a little bit more sense, let's have the story unfold :-)

If you're still finding the story slow, please just bear with me. The spice and chutney will come with time! 😉 You're allowed to hold me to my word!

AQSA

The phone rang with a shrill, jolting Aqsa awake. She sat up with a start. She hadn't even realized when she fell asleep. Her work was still scattered around her. She had been on the verge of finishing up when exhaustion overtook her. She reached out for the phone on the bedside table and groggily spoke.

Her brother's throaty chuckle resonated from the other end. "First week of university has you already washed out little sis?" he asks, still chuckling. Aqsa sighed, "You have no idea. I'm just wondering if the first week is like this, how will I manage 4 years??"

"Don't worry, the first semester is always hectic, but once you settle down, things get a bit easier as you plan yourself out. The exams never get easier though, so don't say I didn't warn you!"

Aqsa smiled despite still feeling like a total zombie. Ahaan was the only person apart from her father, who could lift her spirits just by talking to her.

"Want to grab a bite at the cafeteria? I'm already here so get dressed and come quick, you need a break from all the work anyways. You still have tomorrow to finish up what you haven't."

Aqsa looked at all her pending work and was about to decline, but the offer was too tempting. And besides, she still had the whole of Saturday. Weekend in Al Ain was Friday and Saturday.

A short while later, she was heading to the cafeteria, where she hadn't been before. Feeling a bit lost, she took out her phone to check the map of the University, all the while walking hurriedly. Suddenly, she went smack into a large wall. Or rather, a wall from the human male species! She looked up into amused greenish brown eyes, dark long lashes and lips twisted into a smile. Wavy brown hair completed the look of a tall, built boy. Aqsa was so grateful that she had been looking at her phone, which meant her phone and hands had saved her the sin of colliding into him physically! Astaghfirullah (I seek forgiveness in God).

"Don't you look where you're going?" she asks him, trying to steady her breath, and knowing pretty well she was as much at fault, since her attention was on her phone.

He raised his eyebrows and simply told her, "I'm sorry. Next time, I'll try to avoid walking into someone who has their head down instead of up." His friends burst out laughing as he grinned, winked at her and walked away.

Aqsa ground her teeth in anger, but she couldn't run after him to give him a piece of her mind, that would seem too desperate. She instead held her head high, spotting the cafeteria and rushed to sit down opposite Ahaan, realizing he wasn't alone.

"Assalamualaikum", she greeted them.

"Walaikumsalaam" Ahaan and his friend responded. "This is Ahmed. We're taking the same classes and he has helped me out so much in my first week here, not only as a room-mate, but also classmate and friend," introduces Ahaan, smiling gratefully.

Ahmed gives a friendly grin to Aqsa. "Your brother talks nonsense. I was also new some time ago so I know how it feels. I was more than glad to help out."

Time passes quickly as they have their meal, and Aqsa warms up to Ahmed like a second brother. They go back to their respective dorms thereafter to pray Asr (Afternoon) Salah. Aqsa decided to finish up her remaining work. She was just arranging her stuff in front of her to resume where she had left off when there was a slight knock on the door before it swung open.