Whisper

K E I T H

I smiled in relief as those lizard-like creatures got away from Shiro. Leaning backward in the sit of the Black Lion, I smiled, "Thank you for trusting me,"

I saw Shiro's face contort in pain, which made me worry. I shot up, running out the lion. I hurried over to him, sliding to my knees and holding his shoulder. He looked at me, giving a small smile, "Thanks Keith,"

I didn't answer, noticing how his prosthetic arm was covering up the wound. Frowning, I reached for his hand, moving it. My eyes widened with surprise at the glowing purple wound, "What the hell Shiro?!"

He grinned sheepishly, "Hurts like hell,"

I shook my head, helping Shiro to stand. The Black Lion seemed to just follow us as we moved under a small overhang. I rested Shiro against some of the rocky boulders, before taking off to find some sticks and leaves for a fire. At least we'd have light seeing as this planet was pretty gloomy. 

"Keith, be careful!" Shiro warned as I almost tripped.

"Says the paladin with the glowing purple wound!" I yelled back, grabbing some flammable looking things.

Rushing back, I panted, slightly worn out from my journey from the Red Lion all the way to Shiro and the Black Lion, plus the exhaustion of my battle with Zarkon. When I got back to Shiro, sweat was masking my face, lips parted slightly as I took in air. I could feel Shiro's eyes on me as I built the fire, staring it quickly with the skills I had honed from my time alone back on Earth.

"Keith," 

I glanced back at Shiro, stepping back from the fire as it glowed brighter, giving us some warmth, "Yeah?"

"Keith, is everything okay?" he asked.

I smiled, "I should be asking you that. You're the one that has a glowing purple wound on his waist,"

Shiro stifled a slight chuckle, then frowned and gave me a stern look, "What were you thinking fighting Zarkon?"

My smile vanished, "Zarkon is Zarkon. I don't need an expli-"

"Keith, as impulsive as you are...you are never that reckless. This was more than just the quench to end the war...this was personal," Shiro interrupted.

I stared deep at the flames. I didn't know how to tell Shiro, without making him hurt from memories. He didn't need that right now. He needs to get into a healing pod, and quickly. Speaking his name after so long of managing to keep it away from hurting us and clouding our thoughts. I saw what it had done to Pidge. She was deadset on finding her family and she'd go as far as comprising a mission to do so. 

I wanted to find him too. But I knew that once I start, I'd never be able to stop. That would only hurt the team. It would only hurt Shiro. I cursed under my breath, blinking furiously and swallowing down emotions. I finally gave Shiro an answer, "The guys been tormenting the entire universe for 10,000 years. He's hurt so many people, taken away their families. Shiro, you know my life...I guess it was just my own knowledge of knowing how tough it is growing up alone. That and, I had to keep him distracted so you could get the Black Lion,"

I glanced at him, curious about his expression. His eyes were dull and half-lidded due to his exhaustion, but I could make out the knowing look. His lips were pressed together in a straight line, edges slightly curved downwards. He nodded slowly, "I know...but, don't go risking your life like that. I don't know what I'd..."

I moved closer to him, "Hey...let's not think like that. Plus, you'd never be able to get rid of me,"

Shiro chuckled, the two of us settling into a calm silence. Soon, I heard my lion growl a relieved smile pulling at my lips. I looked up, just as Red flew over, landing right beside the black lion, "Red! You got better!"