Best Laid Plans

K A Y D E N

I watched the sunset on Olkarion, along with the rest of the paladins. The Olkari had managed to make me some clothes, and boy were they comfortable. The pants were black and fitted rather comfortably on my legs. My feet were now cushioned by some black combat boots. The shirt was white and had short sleeves, and gave view to my collar bones. This was underneath the black robe-like thing they had given me, which ended at my knees. The only thing that was really mine were the gloves I had on.

"What's everyone thinking about?" Pidge asked.

"Zarkon," Shiro said while Hunk said, "Calozones," and Lance, Keith, and I stayed silent.

They all looked at Hunk, confused, who glanced back at them, "I mean, uh, heck yeah, I'm thinking about calzones, okay? I mean, does it always have to be about Zarkon? He's a bad guy, we're trying to defeat him, I get it. I'm hungry,"

They all turned away at that. Keith broke the silence, "We've come a long way,"

"Yeah, remember when Hunk used to throw up from riding the elevator?" Lance joked.

Hunk groaned at the reminder before smiling, "You guys remember that Arusian? Klaizap, I think his name was? Cool name,"

"Yeah! Keith tried to beat him up even though he was the size of a peanut!" Lance laughed.

"He was their bravest warrior!" Keith defended.

"How about the time the food goo machines attacked us in the kitchen?" Pidge giggled.

"That was the scariest thing that has ever happened to me, the entire time I've been here!" Hunk said.

"Oh, come on!" Lance nudged him.

"What! It's the truth!"

"We've faced sentries, a haunted castle, giant Robeasts, a mall security guard--" Lance began

"And don't forget that cool cube thing!" Pidge cut in between.

"Yeah, and that awful cube thing,"

"You realize once we defeat Zarkon, the universe won't need Voltron anymore," Shiro broke his silence, turning to look at all of them.

All of looked at Shiro, the dawning of the information on them.

"We can return to Earth," Lance realized.

"I can look for my family," Pidge looked down.

Keith looked at me, "I guess we could look for ours,"

"This is it," Shiro said, "As long as everything goes according to plan, we can't fail,"

The six of us stared at the sun setting for a while longer. As soon as darkness cascaded over Olkarion, Shiro ordered all of us to get some rest. The groups began to leave, but I stayed in my spot. My eyes fixed on the sky, something so beautiful yet something I hadn't seen in so long. The beautiful speckles of silver, were so small...yet so precious to me.

"Kayden," Shiro called, "You too,"

I nodded, slowly turning around and walking back. There was much on my mind. Much I didn't want to think about. The only thing I wanted to do, was catch up with my brother. I was the last one back in the castle, the group giving me one of the spare bedrooms. I heard the paladins wish one another a good sleep, until they left Shiro, Keith, and I alone in the Altean hallway.

I sucked up the courage to look at them and smiled, "Let's chat,"

The three of us walked into Keith's room, since it was the closest. The lights flickered on as the door shut behind us. I didn't have time to breathe before I was tackled by two bodies.