Chapter 19

(Lake Jookuya shown above)

Mackenzies' POV

 I sneak out now and then to go running in my wolf form, it has been about 3 weeks since my change. I had come upon a beautiful late one morning while exploring Chazs' territory and go there whenever I go running just to lay down and enjoy the feel of it around me.

(Snap) I hear the sound of a branch or a twig break and Xeons ears perk up listening for any sort of moment but we hear nothing, she then lifts her snout and inhale just faintly catching the scent of something she recognizes from years ago... **SHADOWS!!** Shouts in her mind and we instantly look around us and realize that we are surrounded completely. I see them through the trees watching us.

They don't know know that I can see and smell their disgusting scent so I let them think I don't know they're there and lay back down, this time I turn my back to the water and face them. I mindlink Chaz to let him know where I am and whats going on but it would take him about a half hour to get to me at full speed. In the far distance I hear his menacing howl followed the howls of our warrior wolves.

*What are they waiting for?* I ask Xeon ...**it seems they are observing us and keep moving closer every time I look away and look back at them**.... * Should we make a run for it?* ... ** I never run from a fight Kenzie!**....* you never run from a fight when you're certain that you'd win, we are greatly outnumbered Xe*... ** you have a point...okay.. I'll start off slow as though I'm just headed back to the pack and see what they do**.... * okay...let's go*.

We take off running at a paste and see them flitting through the trees effortlessly, keeping up with us which makes us pick up the paste from the corner of my eye I see a bright light approaching me at rapid speed.. Xeon ducks which causes a skid and it misses us and explodes through the trees behind us as we take off again... We run zig zag around the trees but making sure we are still headed home.

One after the other they throw themselves at us, throw plasma balls and attempt to trap me with chains but with our vision it's easy to see their tricks and movements and dodge them. We make it into the clearing and I can see Titus approaching quickly followed by the pack who begin growling when they see the legion of shadows hot on my tail.. while focusing on getting to Titus we didn't notice one shadow leap from the trees landing right on us cause both of us to go tumbling, we end up hanging off the cliffs edge.

My paws are struggling to hold as I see Titus scramble to us while the others fight... he gets knocked to the ground but is back up in no time...except he gets to the edge just as the shadow pulls from below me causing me to let go completely...Just as I am about to hit the bottom...a light appears ahead and swallows me in. The last thing I heard before it closed was my mates pained howl then his sorrowed voice call my name.