Proulogue

• Dedicated to Karina Pham

The sun was going down, setting deep shadow through the trees. A small breeze ruffled the leaves and flew thunderclan camp. An orange tom ran to the nursery with water for his mate.

    “Cinderheart?” The orange tom slid into the nursery. “Are you there?”

   “Yes my love, I’m here.” A grey she- cat was huddled in the corner. “Lionblaze you look worried, what’s wrong?”

    “The kits are coming soon.” Lionblaze shivered.

 “Are you sure-” The grey she-cat cut him off.

“I’m fine. The pains have just-oh!” Cinderheart hissed through clenched teeth. “Get Jayfeather!” Lionblaze sped to the medicine den. “Jayfeather!” The grey tom looked alarmed. “Cinderheart’s kitting!”                                                                                        

“Let me get my herbs.” The grey tom calmed. “Go comfort her. The last thing we need is a scared and lonely queen.” Lionblaze trotted back to the nursery. Why does everyone Think I’m a total mouse-brain? Lionblaze let out a frustrated hiss. It’s fine. Every cat worries about their mate and kits. Lionblaze slipped into the nursery. “The kits are coming! Now!” Cinderheart was panting. Jayfeather’s eyes widened as he crawled in. Jayfeather walked over and gently put his paw on her flank. “This may hurt but try stay calm.” The medicine cat’s soft voice                                                soothed Cinderheart. The grey she-cat whimpered as the first kit slid out.

    “How many more?” Cinderheart seemed to relax when Jayfeather said two. Her body tightened as the next kit slid out. “One more to come.” Jayfeather was tense, his mind was only focused on one thing. Cinderheart gasped the last kit slid out and she  gently guided them to her belly to suckle.

    “They’re beautiful.” Lionblaze touched noses with his mate. “They will be fine warriors one day.”

“This is Moonkit.” Cinderheart gestured to a tabby orange she-cat. “This is Stonekit and Sagekit.” Lionblaze glanced at Stonekit, a dark brown tom and Sagekit, a small pale grey tom. Lionblaze laid down and curled his tail around his mate and kits. Lionblaze heard Firestar’s voice ring in his ears as he drifted to sleep. They will be strong warriors. One may even lead they’re clan one day.                    

 “Lionblaze… Lionblaze… wake up. It’s me, Firestar.”

“Wha… oh, Firestar!” Lionblaze looked confused.

“Why am I here? What do you need to tell me?”

“I don’t need to tell you anything. But there is something you need to know.”

    “What is it?” He was eager to find out.

“I already told you. You just need to figure it out.”

“How? Firestar, please!” Lionblaze started to beg but the small ginger tom was already starting to fade. Lionblaze awoke to Cinderheart and the kits gentle snore. Lionblaze hissed in frustration. Firestar has been so tricky since he died for the clans. All the clans. Lionblaze woke just in time for the dawn patrol and he decided he should go.

    “Lionblaze, take Icewing, Bumblestripe and Dovewing on a hunting patrol.” Squirrelflight, the clan deputy usually arranges the patrols. Lionblaze opened his mouth and tasted the air.

    “Let’s go to the lake.” Lionblaze had wanted to go to the lake since three sunrises ago. “Lionblaze?” Dovewing had startled him and her eyes widened as he swung his head backwards and showed his expression. “W-what’s wrong Lionblaze?” Dovewing was still a bit shocked. Lionblaze let out a long sigh and answered.