Chapter 8: Cruel Reality

Earth 1
4:00 PM
November 1, 2020

Doyoung trudged through the empty, white corridors of the hospital with dark bags beneath his eyes. His gaze was glued to the slate grey floor, never looking up to see the ceiling made from those polystyrene squares laid on a grid-like frame. The beaming light is too bright for his vision after spending the previous night and day restlessly— he found it abrasive, enough to bring an aching migraine. Above every door the male passed is a large paper sign covered by plastic, dark with white lettering— no fancy fonts to lighten the mood, just bold and all-caps.

His eyes fell to the white lilies in his hand, their dampness seeping through his woolen glove. He's shaking. Doyoung looked at his hands traveling to the surface of the knob, hesitating if he should enter or not.

What he'd seen back at the apartment... how (Y/N) flew to the wall the moment she touched the glassy surface of the mirror, damaging her spine and head or how there were two of the same person staring back at each other scarred Doyoung in numerous ways. These problematic thoughts infested his optimism; he couldn't help but to think of the worse situations that could possibly occur.

Doyoung loves (Y/N) so much that seeing her unconscious, bleeding, death basically at her doorstep, physically pained his heart. Sucking a deep breath, Doyoung turned the door knob and entered the room.

"Bunbun... my bunbun," he whispers, sorrow evident in each syllable of his sentence.

The male's foremost priority was to check the monitor presenting the consecutive heartbeats of the unconscious female, signaling the functioning intervals in steady pulsing. Approaching (Y/N)'s bedside, Doyoung settled the bouquet of flowers at nearby a nightstand and relieved a heavy sigh from his chest as he watched his lover sleeping peacefully despite the tubes and bandages connected and wrapped around her frail body.

"Wake up soon, okay?" He brushes his thumb across her cheeks, heavy tears brimming his dark lashes. "Wake up soon bunbun. I-I need to you to stay alive. Not just for me, or anyone, but for yourself. You can't loose your precious life... bunbun... please be okay..."

Doyoung bit the tip of his tongue, then chewed the inside of his cheeks as he attempted to hold the wet tears threatening to escape his eyes.

"Please be okay," he begged.

That's when Doyoung couldn't hold them back anymore. A small crystal bead strolled down first from his right eye; he felt the warmth sliding down his cheek, and rolling of his chin.

"Please bunbun. I-I lo-love you so much. I don't know what I'll do without you... god this hurts. You're the one dying here, but why does it feel like I'm al-also dying?!"

The noisy sobs echoed through the empty room. He let his eyes flood with tears, coming like a heavy rainfall. The salty fluid kept dripping over his cracked, dehydrated lips as his knees buckled, the marble tiles colliding with his knees. Doyoung pressed her knuckles against his lips; even though he was an atheist, he prayed the gods to wake her up, to give her strength.

"When will you wake up?"

.
.

Earth ???
4:00 PM
November 1, 2020

"Trust me, I want to wake up from this nightmare," (Y/N) said in a muted tone as she communicated her frustration to Jieun through a burner phone. "I want to stop living if I have to go through this, Jieun."