Chapter 9: Behind The Glass

Earth ???
5:00 P.M
November 1, 2020

"They're ready to see you now Mr. Jung," the receptionist informed Hoseok in a monotone voice.

The latter didn't bother to thank nor spare a glance to the worker as he swiftly walked across her. He opened the door without knocking, hands shaking in the process, and faced them nervously.

"Long time no see... IU... Go," he simply greeted. "I did not mean for us to meet again this way, but these series of unfortunate events forced me to face you both."

"Please, drop the formalities when we're all alone. Hearing Go from you is bizarre, considering our past together," Jingoo smiles. "Anyways, what brings you here?"

"What else?" Jieun chimes in, attitude dripping her words. Unlike Jingoo, who was standing tall to greet their old friend, she sat behind her desk, avoiding his eyes out of disdain and pours herself a cup of hot tea. "(Y/N) of course."

For a second, Jingoo's lips fell into a frown upon realizing Hoseok's reason of visit, then picked it right back up to keep formalities. He made his way towards him, stopped when they stood eye to eye, and rested his left hand on top of Hoseok's right shoulder. "My dear friend... I suggest that you don't speak more of her. As you already know, she is a sensitive topic for both Jieun and I."

"I don't care. (Y/N) came back." Hoseok gritted his teeth, his eyes turning dark at the sight of Jieun acting nonchalantly.

"Jung Hoseok," Jingoo warned.

"She was never to return to this world and here she is!! What is the reason?! Why did she have to return?! We— we three made sure— we made sure," Hoseok choke on his words. Tears threatened to spill down his cheeks as he recalled what became of the past. "...that I would not have to see again..."

Jieun gulped down the hot liquid slowly just to feel even an ounce of pain as it slides down her throat.

"Jingoo," she sets down her cup, "I'd like to talk to him privately."

Without a question or a sound of protest, Jingoo nodded his head and exited the room. Once they heard the door click close, a threatening silence engulfed the occupying space.

"She read my mind..." Hoseok began, "...she figured out that I killed her father, but stopped before she could see everything."

"Oh my," she forced out a bitter smile, "how tragic."

"Jieun I need to know where she is. Now that I've seen her again, her soul rightfully in her body, I can't— I just CAN'T leave how things use to be. I thought living without her was fine, but I was wrong... terribly wrong when I saw her eyes."

"I can't help you."

"Please... please Jieun," Hoseok dropped down to his knees, "I have to make things right. I have to explain to her what happened that night."

"Again, I can't help you," she got out of her seat and paced back and forth around the room, her heart racing faster and faster.

"Yes you can—"

"Hoseok, you and I made an agreement years ago. Do you remember?" Red rimmed Jieun's eyes as she spoke, her voice shaking from both anger and pain. "It was the night you killed her father. The blood soaking her clothes. The tears that stained her cheeks. Her small writhing arms desperately clinging around your neck, eyes filled with trauma, her yet undeveloped brain unable to comprehend what she witnessed. You caused that."