Friendly Advise: Do not repeat my mistake.

When I was 7 years old, my dad lost his job. We were in a pretty bad condition. The bills kept piling up, with no way to pay them. My mom faced some complications, after she gave birth to me. She wasn't able to work after that and it was fine by my dad because he earned enough.
We had some savings and it helped us to pay the bills. But the mortgage was too high and the savings weren't enough.

I had no clue about it, and I had asked my mom to pay for my trip. I was pretty oblivious to the situation around me, instead I was happy that my dad got laid off. It allowed him to spend more time with me.

The trip wasn't that important but I really wanted to go, so somehow my mom gathered some money and paid for it. It was later, when I was in my teens that I knew she sold her mom's ring so that she could pay for the mortgage and my trip.

All these years, she's sacrificed parts of herself for me and never asked for anything in return. Maybe it's a major requirement to be an Indian woman, learn how to sacrifice, whether it be your self-respect, your job or your happiness. It amazes me how she can do it so easily and effortlessly, like it's been ingrained in her brain to do so.
I thought about Mateo's proposal, and honestly it was one of the most stupidest idea, in the history of stupid ideas ever. But still it made sense, at least to me. If watching me getting married is all that my mom wants, then I'll do it. Anyway, my half Indian heritage doesn't allow me to choose a groom for myself.

I didn't much care about cultures and rituals, whether it be American or Indian. My middle finger did though. It loves to let itself be known to people who deserve it.

So I made a decision that I might regret, which was hasty and unlike me. I loved planning and figuring out the minute details before doing anything, but this time I only saw two options.

One: Continue to meet potential matches till the day you turn gray and lose your job, your sanity and also your money (I'd paid at least a three hundred dollars to Erik this month!), in the process.

Two: Accept this deal, continue with your job and a stress free life without any complications. After a year tell your mom you're not ready for marriage because of the broken heart! Live a peaceful life without a husband and children to make it hell.

I did what any woman who valued her sanity would do. I called Mateo and told him that I was ready.

***

The next day, at the office I received an envelope. It contained all the paperwork, which I read thoroughly and then I signed.

It was done. I was getting married.
The agreement basically stated that we'd continue with our normal lifestyle, except I would have to move-in with him to keep up the pretenses. We can date whoever we want as long as we are discreet. Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!

I called Mateo and told him about meeting my parents.

"When do you think we should make this official?" He asked.

"We can organise a brunch and then break this news to both of our parents. My mom is gonna get the biggest shock of her life."

"Isn't that what she wanted? For you to get married?"

"Yeah but I told her how we didn't feel a connection and now I'm ready to get married to you. All this happened in a few days."

"You didn't feel the sexual tension between us?" He asked huskily.

"Nope. Maybe you should try again" I whispered, two can play this game.

"I need to up my game then. You've challenged my ego now."

"Your flirting game is kinda rusty. I wonder if all those women on the gossip sites were lying."

"You read about me?"