trois, show and don't tell

SOMEONE HAD JUMPED ON ME TO WAKE ME UP. I groaned and pulled my blanket over my head.

"Get up. It's noon." Gabrielle hissed in French.

"Noon?" I questioned. "Oui."

I jumped out of bed and started looking for my uniform, until my robe was thrown on my head. I took it off and turned around, giving her a questioning look.

"You and I are going to the lake." She grinned.

I found my bathing suit and put it on. I hadn't really expected to use it, but I always tended to overpack. It was a simple, strapless, high-waisted, baby pink, bikini. I quickly threw on my robe and Gabrielle dragged me out the door. 

Students were studying throughout the grounds, looking suspiciously at the two French girls.

She had a rough grip on my hand, bumping through students to get through the Black Lake. Plenty of students were giving us glares, but Gabrielle couldn't care less.

We got to the Black Lake, and waited for Fleur to come. When she arrived there was already a crowd of guys starting to form. From what ages, I couldn't tell. But by the heights, the ages definitely ranged.

Fleur was cursing Gabrielle for bringing her along, and Gabrielle was cursing right back, stating that she could've brought her friends along. I quickly got bored of this argument.

I undid the tie to my robe and threw it to the ground.

 To say the crowd was entertained was an understatement. Cat calls and whistles erupted from said crowd, as I dived in the water.

The water was dark and it didn't help that I hadn't casted a charm to make things easy. I swam back to the surface to see Gabrielle jump in and Fleur, who clearly did not want to participate, storm off. The sight was short lived as something slimy slithered around my waist and pulled me under.

Pure darkness. All I could see was tiny slits of light that had passed through the water and two blindingly radiant white spheres that clearly belonged to something.

Justin had mentioned something about a Giant Squid. But I assumed he was lying and was only trying to intimidate me to prove his school was better.

Clearly, he was not lying. 

It was blood red in color, but behind the huge exterior, it didn't seem to want to hurt me. Nevertheless, I hopelessly signed that I meant no harm. Surprisingly it worked. The giant being nodded. 

This was the point where I had realized I was underwater. I frantically pointed upwards towards the surface. The Squid obliged and hoisted me back up to the surface. It still kept a firm grip on my waist, but seeing as I was going upwards faster than I could've I wasn't complaining.

I gasped for air. I looked down, as the squid was gone. Gabrielle started swimming towards me.

"Where'd you go?!" Her voice filled with concern. I waved her off. She grabbed my arm and started swimming over to the shore. 

"Gabrielle," I hissed. She turned around. "I can swim." A look of realization crossed her face and she pointed her head back to shore.

We got out and Fleur was throwing questions at me left and right. "What happened to you? Are you hurt? Gabrielle I told you this was a bad idea." She said as she wrapped me in my towel. 

"It's not my fault-" She started.

Fleur interrupted. "Oui. It is."

Gabrielle scowled as Fleur was pushing me through the crowd back to the carriage.

"Fleur." She stopped in her tracks as I wiggled my way out of her grip and turned around. She looked livid, but I could tell she was only trying to help. "I'm alright, honestly."

"No. Come. Let's get you dry-"

"Fleur." I repeated. "No." I turned around and went back to Gabrielle. She was sulking. And I couldn't blame her. Fleur treated me more like a sister than her own.

"What do you want to do?" I asked gently. She smiled. "Let's find new friends." She said, glaring at Fleur.

✦ ✦ ✦