dix, the yule ball

"I GOT A DATE!" Gabrielle and I exclaimed at the same time that evening.

"What?" We said in unison.

"Um- you first then?" I asked.

"Oui," She sat down on the bed. "Don't get mad, alright?"

Gabrielle had started to talk in English more often. Whether it was to communicate more or to piss off Fleur (who didn't like the language), I didn't know. I hoped it was the latter.

"Go on then; spit it out." I pressed.

"Well, Justin asked me, and you know, I sort of said yes." 

My heart dropped as I stared at her blankly for a while before I started to laugh humorlessly. "That's funny Gabrielle. Hilarious actually." I said undressing.

"I'm- I'm being serious."

I met her eyes and she looked to most genuine I've ever seen.

I nodded slowly. "Right. I'm happy for you then. Glad you finally got a date."

I had never been so happy and mad for someone else in my entire life. Of course, I was glad Gabrielle found a date. But then again, she knew he was my best friend. She had been pushing away a lot of guys, but why did she agree to go with Justin? Not that I had any claim over him, he can do whatever he wants. But why did he go for Gabrielle? He could've chosen anyone else, but he chose my best friend.

I had never been more glad to be going with one of his best friends. If he can go with one of mine, I can go with one of his. It's only fair.

We got into bed wordlessly and fell asleep, feeling a whirlwind of emotions.

✦   ✦   ✦

"HOLD STI- ARE YOU DEAF? HOLD. STILL." Gabrielle demanded, yanking my hair into a tight braid. 

"Oh I'm sorry, I'm not a statue. In case you haven't already noticed." I spat. 

We had half an hour until the Ball properly started, but that didn't stop Gabrielle from getting ready many hours prior. From the very minute she woke up, she hadn't stopped talking my ear off about the whole thing; about how the Hall would be decorated, or the different dresses, or if she remembered the steps to the dance well enough.

I, on the other hand, wanted to sulk in bed for the whole day. 

It started badly when I had to watch Gabrielle and Justin bat their eyelids towards each other for the entirety of breakfast, resulting in me feeling sick to my stomach and not eating anything.

The feeling only lasted until I dragged her out and back to the carriage. She insisted we get ready if I was so eager to go back. 

She came from behind me and put both hands on my shoulders, inspecting my appearance. She moved a hair or two back into place as she gave me a soft nod. 

"Stunning." She said, taking my hand and leading me towards our mirror.

For once, I believed someone when they told me I was stunning. I had my hair in two braids that connected in the back, overlaying pinched blonde curls. Diamond studs were pressed into my ears, and a small necklace paired with it. The dress was a long, v-neck, lavender one, with a ribbon distinctly defining my waist. It showed off my collar bones in a way that could only be described as exquisite. The straps wrapped around my neck, leaving my back bare.