sept, preparations

"HARRY, I'M BEING SERIOUS."

He looked up from his seat in the library and tutted. "I doubt it."

Ever since the night of the selections, all three schools started talking behind his back. Rumors spread like wildfire on to reasons he got chosen. None of which I chose to believe; he hated the attention he had now, there would be no reason for him to want more. From what I knew, even Ron wasn't talking to him. For that matter, none of my friends were. They all decided he was a cheat, without hearing his side.

This, unfortunately, caused wedges in my friendships. They didn't like the idea of me talking to Harry. More specifically Gabrielle and Justin.

Gabrielle was mad because I'm "mingling with the opponent" and "not supporting her sister". Clearly, I could not support both.

I had a similar issue with Justin. In which he stated that "if Harry thinks he so brilliant, he doesn't need support". This sent me over the edge, resulting in me now, asking if I could help Harry in any way.

"Please. I'm just trying to help."

"Leave me alone." He responded, getting up and walking out of the library with me on his tail. "And quit mocking me."

"I'm not mocking you, Harry." I insisted, trying to keep up with his strides.

I jogged to get in front of him and he stopped in his tracks. "I can help."

He gave me a once over and considered the proposal.

"Just- no." Harry shrugged. "I'm not going to drag you into this and have your friends mad at the both of us." He shoved past me and continued walking, with myself still following him.

"I wouldn't be dragged into it-"

"Fine. Will you leave me alone now?" Harry spat.

"You know, I wouldn't be so rude to the only person who actually believes you when you say that you didn't put your name in. If you don't want my help, so be it. But I'm about the only one willing to offer; let alone talk to you." I countered.

He looked taken aback but suddenly frowned. "Listen. I'm sorry. I can't- I just want to get this whole tournament thing over with. Thank you - truly - for offering, but this whole thing is ridiculously dumb and-"

"Hey, hey- relax. Breathe." I laughed. "It's alright. I'm here to help."

He smiled. "Thanks, Blake."

I nodded, returning the smile. "Let's go get dinner."

On the way to dinner, no words were exchanged. We walked in a comfortable silence the entire way there and gave him a weak smile when we parted.

"You're not talking to him again, are you?" Justin asked the second I sat down.

"Oh, piss off. I can talk to whoever I so please." I retorted, reaching across him to grab a dinner roll and stuffing my mouth.

"Oh, piss off. I can talk to whoever I so please." He mocked under his voice in a slightly higher octave.

I shoved him with my elbow. "Shuh uhp."

He gave me an amused pointed look.  I swallowed. "You're judging me. Quit it." He laughed.

✦   ✦   ✦

THE FOLLOWING DAY, THE COURTYARD WAS PACKED TO THE BRIM. There was almost no way I had any chance of getting studying done. I couldn't even sit down. People were walking slowly as I tried to navigate my way to one of the many benches.

Sighing, I turned around to get away from the crowd and ended up settling down at the Black Lake. It was always peaceful there, listening to the calming tide, moving in and out. The wind moved so perfectly through your hair, with the slightest of breeze. I closed my eyes and let myself take in the peacefulness.

"Fancy seeing you here." My eyes snapped open.

I turned around and met the eyes of the one and only Cedric Diggory.

"I don't think we've been properly introduced," I said.

"No, I don't think we have. I'm-"

"Cedric. I already knew that." I stated matter-of-factly. "How could I not? All three schools are talking about you. Anyways, I'm-"

"Blakely. Justin doesn't shut up about you. Now I know why." I felt a blush creeping up on to my face as I tried my hardest not to let it show. Whether it was from the, what I assumed to be, compliment, or the fact that Justin talks about me.

"What're you working on?" He asked.

"Oh! Uhm- transfiguration." I sputtered.

"Need help?" Cedric raised a brow.

"No, actually, I think I got the gist of it." I gave a tight-lipped smile.

"Right," He nodded slowly. "Mind if I sit?"

"No, not at all." I smiled. He sat down and pulled out his own homework, which looked to be potions. I watched him as he looked for his book and noticed the way his hair slightly flopped over his forehead when he had his head pointed downwards. I resisted the urge to push it back into place.

I shook myself out of my trance and got to work. We worked in pleasant silence for a couple of hours until the sun started to go down. Nothing but the sound of the tide going in and out and our breathing.

"Think we should head back yet?"

I looked at him to see him squinting in the direction of the sun with his hand over his eyes, casting a small shadow over them, blocking the sunlight.

"No. I could stay out here forever. It's nice." I answered.

"Eh. It gets boring after a couple of years." Cedric replied, standing up and offering a hand to help me up.

"Huh," I said, taking his hand and hauling myself up.

We walked into the castle with him in the lead, and myself focusing on putting one foot in front of the other.

Just outside the entrance to the Great Hall, he stopped and turned to me. "We should, you know, do it again."

I raised my eyebrows. "Really?"

"Yeah. You're good company to keep around." He smiled.

I smiled back. "Thanks. Maybe not as late next time, though, I'm starving."

"You and me both." He slung an arm around my shoulders and guided me into the Great Hall. Every pair of eyes were set on us, and hushed murmurs floated around as we walked in.

"See you." He winked and dropped me off next to Susan who was wiggling her eyebrows at me.

"Don't ask," I mumbled as I piled food onto my plate. She giggled as Justin glared holes in the back of Cedric's head.

✦   ✦   ✦

a/n; this is not a ced fic! i repeat: this is not a ced fic!

and as an author, the ending was hard to write. okay ily.