neuf, mon amour

"WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK." I said, shoving eggs into my mouth. "Excuse my language, but what?"

Susan snorted. "You don't seem too happy."

"Really? Oh no. I'm ecstatic." I replied sarcastically.

It was the middle of December and Madam Maxime had just broken the news to us about the Yule Ball. The girls were, to say the least, beyond thrilled that they could attend a ball. I, having grown tired of the frilly dresses, was not at all pleased to hear the news. Ball's like these only brought a boatload of drama and heartbreak. Not to mention that wearing a dress wasn't anything special, I had been doing it every day for the past four years. Putting all that aside, Madam Maxime instructed her girls to "attend with a date, or don't bother attending at all". 

It was safe to say, everyone was excited. Except for the boys. They started becoming quieter and quieter around girls and avoiding any conversation with us, especially if it was private. Justin had officially started avoiding Susan and I's general circle.

After a week and a half, the Hall filled with the same questions every day.

"Do you have a date yet?"

"Will you go with me?"

"What color is your dress?"

"Do you know if someone's asked them already?"

"Do you think they'd go with me?"

"What are you wearing?"

"I think I might ask them."

"Are you wearing heels or flats?"

It was getting extremely repetitive but no one seemed to mind. 

Also, as much as I hated these types of things, I wanted to go. Which meant I had to find a date. I didn't really want to go with anyone in particular, but I had to at least find someone decent.

"I think you're mad because you don't have a date," Hannah stated, her eyes never leaving her breakfast. Susan giggled and I almost spit out my food.

"No," I said. "I'm perfectly capable of finding someone. The problem is, I haven't found them yet-"

"Morning, Blakely." Cedric slid into the seat to my right. Hannah choked and Leanne had to hit her back a couple of times to make sure she was okay. 

It was a very known fact that Hannah had a major crush on Cedric, like a lot of the girls here. She would get flustered every time he came near her. It was adorable. But he took no notice to this.

"Morning," I mumbled, hoping that what was about to come next wouldn't happen here.

"Can I talk to you?" He asked. "In private?" Cedric added in a lower tone.

"Sure." My voice went up an octave and I shot a scared glance at Susan before I was ushered out of the Hall.

We stood right outside of the double doors, but out of sight. Cedric's eyes were trained to the ground.

"Would you- erm, maybe- you know," He stuttered.

He took a deep breath and regained his composure, meeting my eyes. "Would you like to go to the Ball with me?"

My eyes widened as I tried to find an excuse. 'Yeah, I can't. I mean I'd love to, but I don't want to. You're great, sure, but you're not.'

"Uh. Listen, I'm sorry? But I- erm, I'm waiting for someone else to, you know, ask me." I gave him a tight-lipped smile as I brushed past him. 

Somehow, Justin decided now was the time to talk to me, as we fell in step with each other. 

"Did he-"

"Yes, he asked me. Yes, I turned him down. No, I do not have a date yet. Anything I missed?" I retorted, finally turning to face him.

"I- no, but-" 

"Then don't worry about it." I spun on my heel and walked back to my seat.

"Did he ask you?" Hannah asked eagerly.

"Yes, and I said no. That's that."

✦   ✦   ✦

CEDRIC HAD ASKED A GIRL NAMED CHO CHANG, WHICH SHE ACCEPTED, AND I WAS GLAD TO BE RID OF HIM. He had asked me twice after our encounter, and I had shot him down both times.

As of now, I had three days until the Ball; and three days to find a date.

Had I shot down a couple of nice dates? Yes. But I didn't want nice. I wanted to go with someone I knew.

"Still haven't got a date yet?" Zach said, sitting in the seat opposite of me in the library.

"No," I mumbled. 

"What's that?" He pressed, knowing full-well what I said. 

"You know what I said." 

He smirked and crossed his arms. "Why's that? None of 'em up to your standards?"

"Precisely," I remarked.

"Or are you waiting on someone?"

I raised my eyebrows and leaned forward. "And who would I be waiting on, Smith?"

He leaned forward in the same manner as I had. "Dunno, Dume, you tell me."

"Well, whoever I'm waiting for hasn't asked me yet." I brought my voice down to a whisper.

"Is that right? Well, maybe you could tell me who and I could give 'em word..?" He quirked a brow.

"If he hasn't gotten word yet, then maybe I shouldn't bother with him."

"Maybe you shouldn't," Zach started. "You could always go with me, mon amour." He shrugged.

"Subtle, really." I smiled, picking up my books. "Of course."

✦   ✦   ✦