quatre, triwizard tournament

OUR CONVERSATION WAS INTERRUPTED BY A BOOMING VOICE. "The Triwizard Tournament is a series of tasks, in which a single student is selected to compete." Dumbledore announced at dinner the following week. By this time, everyone had been somewhat accommodated to the change of scenery. Beauxbatons and Durmstrang students were mixed in with the Hogwarts students, and happily eating whatever was placed in front of them. This announcement, however, was what sparked interest in most students. We all knew of the tournament, but didn't know exactly what it was about.

He elaborated on the tournament, giving us a full backstory, why it originated, why it stopped, why it's back, and what was taking place. He called up a man by the name of Barty Crouch Sr. He was a typical businessman, but was almost too proper and seemed sketchy. "The Ministry has concluded that for their own safety, no student under the age of seventeen will-" He was cut off by many boos, insults, and profanities, that if their own mothers would hear, they would not be proud of.

"What?! They didn't do that back then!" Justin yelled.

"Exactly. Why do you think the death toll was that high, you idiot-" I was cut off.

"Silence!" Dumbledore's voice hushed the entire hall with one word. 

After a minute, low and behold, the cup was right before us. I was rather plain, with a few intricate details.

"On Halloween night, the champions will be chosen. If chosen, there's no turning back." He started, glancing around the hall. "As of this moment, the Triwizard Tournament has begun."

✦   ✦  ✦

"THIS WHOLE CUP THING IS RUBBISH." Zach huffed, sitting down next to me on the bench in one of the courtyards. He saw me working on my Herbology essay, and got out some parchment to start his as well.

"If I didn't know better, I'd say you were mad." I said, not looking up to see his face. He scoffed. "I don't get mad, Dume." He retorted, trying to convince himself more then me.

"If you say so." I shrugged.

He brushed it off and got to work for a solid three minutes. "How far are you?" 

I looked back at him, and nodded towards my essay. "A little over a foot and a half. Why?"

His eyes nearly bulged out of his head. "A foot and a half? That's more than the requirement."

"Well I had more to add-" He cut me off.

"More to add? You're joking." He shook his head in disbelief. He turned his head back to his paper. "No wonder you were headed for Eton. You're worse than Justin."

I gasped and playfully nudged him. I placed a hand over my heart to feign hurt. "You wound me, Zach." I faked tears.

He laughed. "Good. Maybe you'll pity me enough to help me."

"If you needed help, you could've just asked. I'm more than capable of tutoring you." I responded.

"Forget I said anything if you're going to call it tutoring." A look of confusion crossed my face, but faded as fast as it came. "I'm calling it what it is. Why? Would it hurt you precious ego too much?" I countered, batting my eyes.

It was his turn to nudge me. "Shut up." He laughed and shook his head.

"Make m-"

"What are you working on?" Susan interrupted. Zach's face flushed red.

"Herbology." I spit out, clearing my throat and returning to my work.

"How far-" I cut her off. "A foot and a half."

She looked taken aback for a second but recovered quickly. "Right. Erm. I've got to, uh, library. Yeah. See you." She said, walking away.

I cursed under my breath. "I'll see you around, Zach. I've got to apologize." I muttered, packing up my stuff and not bothering to listen to his response.

The first week and people are already mad at me. I shoved through people to catch up with Susan, but she had gone farther than I expected.

Soon, she was long gone before I could even find her.

✦  ✦  ✦