Chapter Five: Flight of the Fat Lady

Song: When We Were at War
Published: November 16th, 2020
Edited: a few minutes after posted.
Hi Duckies! 🦆
I'm doing a major editing with all the chapters!
Major edit: July 29th, 2021
——————————————————————————-

In no time at all, Defence Against the Dark Arts had become most people's favourite class.
   Only Draco Malfoy and his gang of Slytherins had anything bad to say about Professor Lupin.
Malfoy would whisper things about Professor Lupin's robes and just Professor Lupin in general.
But no one else cared that Professor Lupin's robes were patched and frayed. His next few lessons were just as interesting as the first.

After Boggarts, they studied Red Caps, (nasty little goblin-like creatures that lurked wherever there had been bloodshed, in the dungeons of castles and the potholes of deserted battlefields, waiting to bludgeon those who had got lost.)
From Red Caps they moved on to Kappas which are creepy water-dwellers that looked like scaly monkeys, with webbed hands itching to strangle unwitting waders in their ponds.
  Worst of all was Potions. Snape was in a particularly vindictive mood these days. The story of the Boggart assuming Snape's shape, and the way that Neville had dressed it in his grandmother's clothes, had travelled through the school like wildfire.
Snape didn't seem to find it funny. His eyes flashed menacingly at the very mention of Professor Lupin's name, and he was bullying Neville worse than ever.

The five of them were dreading the hours they spent in Professor Trelawney's stifling tower room, deciphering lop-sided shapes and symbols, trying to ignore the way Professor Trelawney's enormous eyes filled with tears every time she looked at Harry and sometimes Natalia, (even though Natalia doesn't do much in that class).
Parvati Patil and Lavender Brown had taken to haunting Professor Trelawney's tower room at lunchtimes, and always returned with annoyingly superior looks on their faces, as though they knew things the others didn't.

Nobody really liked Care of Magical Creatures, which, after the action-packed first class, had become extremely dull. Hagrid seemed to have lost his confidence and now they were now spending lesson after lesson learning how to look after Flobberworms, which had to be some of the most boring creatures in existence.

                             🦆—————🦆

Harry returned to the Gryffindor common room one evening after Quidditch training, cold and stiff but pleased with the way practice had gone, to find the room buzzing excitedly.
"What's happened?" Harry asked Ron, Natalia and Hermione, who were sitting in three of the best chairs by the fireside and completing some star charts for Astronomy.
"First Hogsmeade weekend," said Ron, pointing at a notice that had appeared on the battered old notice-board.
"End of October. On Halloween," Hermione pointed out.

"Excellent," said Fred, who had followed Harry through the portrait hole. "I need to visit Zonko's, I'm nearly out of Stink Pellets."
Harry threw himself into a chair beside Natalia who was looking like she was about to give up on whatever homework she was doing , his high spirits ebbing away.
Hermione seemed to read Harry's mind.
"Harry, I'm sure you'll be able to go next time," she said. "They're bound to catch Black soon, he's been sighted once already."
At the mention of Black, Natalia's head snaps up. A scared look crosses her face and then a frown. Harry wonders if she's actually afraid of Sirius Black or for Harry's safety.
"Black's not fool enough to try anything in Hogsmeade,"said Ron. "Ask McGonagall if you can go this time, Harry, the next one might not be for ages –"
"Ron!" Interrupted Hermione. "Harry's supposed to stay in school -"
"He can't be the only third-year left behind," Natalia spoke up.  "Ask McGonagall, go on, Harry –"
"Yeah, I think I will. Thanks, Natalia," said Harry, making up his mind.