Chapter Nine: The Patronus

Song: If I'm to Die
Posted: November 18th, 2020
Edited: November 21st, 2020
Major editing: July 30th, 2021
—————————————————————————-

Harry knew that Hermione had meant well, but that didn't stop him from being angry with her.
He had been the owner of the best broom in the world for a few short hours, and now, because of her interference, he didn't know whether he would ever see it again. He was positive that there was nothing wrong with the Firebolt now, but what sort of state would it be in once it had been subjected to all sorts of anti-jinx tests?
Ron and Natalia was furious with Hermione too. As far as they was concerned, the stripping-down of a brand-new Firebolt was nothing less than criminal damage.
Hermione, who remained convinced that she had acted for the best, started avoiding the common room.

Harry and Ron supposed she had taken refuge in the library and didn't try to persuade her to come back. They asked Natalia but she won't crack.
She seemed to change a bit over Christmas.
Her neck has now a small sliver locket that she won't show anyone the picture inside. She had made her hair shorter, (thanks to her Metamorphmahus ability) and it suits her well.   Also, she seemed to get older presents from someone that she always carries around. It could be a hair tie or a traditional head piece that she would carry or wear all day.
Natalia had also been missing a lot after dinner or early in the morning.

🦆—————🦆

All in all, they were glad when the rest of the school returned shortly after New Year, and Gryffindor Tower became crowded and noisy again. Oliver Wood sought Harry out on the night before term started.
"Had a good Christmas?" he said, and then, without waiting for an answer, he sat down, lowered his voice, and said, "I've been, doing some thinking over Christmas, Harry. After last match, you know. If the Dementors come to the next one...I mean...we can't afford you to -- well --" Wood broke off, looking awkward.
"I'm working on it," said Harry quickly. "Professor Lupin said he'd train me to ward off the Dementors. We should be starting this week. He said he'd have time after Christmas."
"Ah," said Wood, his expression clearing. "Well, in that case -- I really didn't want to lose you as Seeker, Harry. And have you ordered a new broom yet?"
"No," said Harry.

"What! You'd better get a move on, you know -- you can't ride that Shooting Star against Ravenclaw!"
"He got a Firebolt for Christmas," said Natalia from over the Muggle book she was reading.
"A Firebolt? No! Seriously? A -- a real Firebolt?"
"Don't get excited, Oliver," said Harry gloomily. "I haven't got it anymore. It was confiscated." And he explained all about how the Firebolt was now being checked for jinxes.
"Jinxed? How could it be jinxed?"
"Sirius Black," Harry said wearily. "He's supposed to be after me. So McGonagall reckons he might have sent it."
"I doubt that it's jinxed. Black isn't stupid. He won't do that," said Natalia thickly.
Waving aside the information that a famous murderer was after his Seeker, Wood said, "But Black couldn't have bought a Firebolt! He's on the run! The whole country's on the lookout for him! How could he just walk into Quality Quidditch Supplies and buy a broomstick?"
"I know," said Harry, "but McGonagall still wants to strip it down --"
Wood went pale.
"I'll go and talk to her, Harry," he promised. "I'll make her see reason...A Firebolt...a real Firebolt, on our team ...She wants Gryffindor to win as much as we do...I'll make her see sense. A Firebolt...."

🦆—————🦆
Classes started again the next day.
The last thing anyone felt like doing was spending two hours on the grounds on a raw January morning, but Hagrid had provided a bonfire full of salamanders for their enjoyment, and they spent an unusually good lesson collecting dry wood and leaves to keep the fire blazing while the flame-loving lizards scampered up and down the crumbling, white-hot logs.
The first Divination lesson of the new term was much less fun; Professor Trelawney was now teaching them palmistry, and she lost no time in informing Harry that he had the shortest life line she had ever seen in the process.