𝗶 𝗯𝗲𝘁𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝘀𝗲𝗲 𝘆𝗼𝘂 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲, 𝗵𝗼𝗹𝗯𝗿𝗼𝗼𝗸! ❦

╔═══════════════╗
𝙘𝙝𝙖𝙥𝙩𝙚𝙧 𝙛𝙞𝙫𝙚
╚═══════════════╝

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

‧͙⁺˚*・༓☾♫ this eve of parting - john hartford ♫☽༓・*˚⁺‧

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

It had been ten days. Ten days since they had seen their families. Ten days since they had lost one of their own. The sun still rose every morning, and fell every night, but everything beneath it was unexplainable.

The grey overcast hung across the sky, providing a fitting setting for the mourning of Emily Warner. Rose-Mary sat alone on a wooden bench next to the church, staring at the handmade memorial. There were pictures, flowers, sticky notes with heartfelt condolences. Rose-Mary brought the pink roses she had cut from her garden to her lips, gently kissing them before placing them next to the wooden cross.

        The creek of wood rang out next to her, and she felt a sudden presence.

        "You've been here all morning," the familiar voice of Harry Bingham stated, as if it wasn't obvious. She didn't say anything. "You should probably get some breakfast. You know, something to eat?"

        There was a slight pause, before Rose-Mary spoke.

       "She called out for her mom. Right before she died, she asked for her mom," the mourning girl said, ignoring Harry's concerns. "And now, she never gets to see her mom again."

        "Roe, you know this is not your fault. Luke said it was an allergic reaction, yo- you couldn't have done anything. It was in God's hands at that point."

        "I watched her die. Slowly and painfully." Rose-Mary leaned her head on his shoulder, "She was such a beautiful girl."

Harry grabbed her small hand, and squeezed tightly, reassuring her that he was there. That he was a shoulder to cry on.

"Come on. Let's go," Harry stood up, pulling Rose-Mary up with him. They walked away from the memorial, not even noticing that they were still holding hands.

"You haven't called me Roe since..since that summer," she said quietly. Harry didn't know what to say, which was odd, because he always had a witty comeback. That was her affect on him: literally rendering him speechless.

«────── « ⋅ʚ♡ɞ⋅ » ──────»

Rose-Mary was idly walking down the concrete sidewalk with Harry, no specific destination. They mindlessly talked for hours, catching each other up on their lives. An important detail that many people didn't know about Rose-Mary and Harry, was that they had history, but that is a story for a later time.