Chapter 15

(8man PoV)

I wake up slightly groggy as I turn off my alarm which beckons me to awaken and face another day. Stretching my limbs I yawn as I turn on autopilot whilst entering the bathroom, about 30 minutes later I come out fresh from a bath as I dry my hair before proceeding to comb them for the...I can't even remember the last time I did that. Picking out my uniform I glance at the clock, 6: 30 AM.

I almost curse myself before remembering my last night's resolution, since the scholarship test is barely a week away I had decided to get up earlier than usual in order to cram whatever I could before school hours. Since I will pretty much be unable to study for a long time tomorrow, considering the ball, it would be better if I abided by the resolution and began studying now. Making the decision I grabbed a workbook and began my journey downstairs, my room feels a bit stuffy now and it would be nice to have something in my stomach before I began. Downstairs I'm greeted again by the unfamiliar sight of mom making preparations for breakfast, then again she did mention that she was going to cut back on the work and spend more time with us.

"Morning mom." I greet her as I enter the kitchen and place my books on the table.

"Ah, Hat-chan, good morning." She turns to face me as she takes in my appearance, "You're early again today."

"Yeah, I need more time to cram everything for the test so I figured it would be better to have an early start everyday."

She nods approvingly, my tardiness is something that seems to have always gotten on peoples nerves.

"I'm afraid that breakfast will still take some time, but I'll pour you a glass of milk." Soon enough a glass of warm milk is placed before me, taking a sip I ease into a chair on the dining table and start studying. Time passes as both of us immerse ourselves in our tasks, the only break being a wide-eyed Komachi who was surprised at the prospect of seeing mom in the kitchen for two mornings straight and was extremely thrilled at having more free time to sleep rather than make breakfast.

Sometime later 2 steaming bowls of rice and miso soup were placed before me along with a plate of half-fried eggs, glancing at the clock I could see that slightly more than an hour had passed.

"You should eat up and change Hat-chan." Mom voiced my thoughts as I closed my book and began eating, as usual, the food was great, truly the best way to start the day.

Finishing the meal I headed to my room as I wore my uniform, picked my bag and headed downstairs. In the kitchen again I was greeted to the sight of mom and Komachi cleaning up as 2 bentos lay wrapped upon the table, oh boy this just keeps getting better. Picking up my purple bento I was surprised to see some cash underneath it, confused at the same I glanced over at mom, am I getting extra allowance even before getting the cram school scholarship?

"It's for you to buy a new blazer, the one you wear now is almost like an abomination."

Can she read my mind? More importantly we spent quite a bit while shopping yesterday, can we really afford-

"We saved quite a bit when you ranked in the top 5 in the entrance exam and earned subsidized high school education." She glances at me before turning again and continuing, "So we can afford to spend atleast that much on you." Though this was certainly for me, I could notice her throwing a subtle glance at Komachi which was not unnoticed, while she may be the general favorite, my parents are always happy to brag about my academic records whenever the topic comes up. She might not be the brightest bulb in studies, but piling up pressure won't do her any good mom.

I pocket the cash and begin to move before I feel a slight tug on my sleeve, turning I see Komachi looking at me with a frown, what in the world did I do to upset my cute little sister!?