Chapter 16

(8man PoV)

...Just who are you Yukinoshita Haruno?

I handed over the menu to the waitress who bolted immediately, perhaps still apprehensive of my companion sitting across this small table as she smiles ear to ear. You really like to smile a lot don't you Haruno? Then again it is said that smiling is the best way to annoy others without exerting your mouth to utter any words.

"Ordering for your date even without asking her, you've gotten surprisingly pushy Hikigaya-kun." Haruno breaks the silence as she tugs on a stray strand of hair.

"Of all things Haruno, I believe that you are not here for the extensive selection of delicacies that this establishment seeks to offer," I pause before continuing again, "Hence I believe that what we order would anyways be immaterial."

The waitress returns as she places our drinks in front of us, gives us a quick bow and dashes to the kitchen, c'mon girl Haruno isn't that scary...maybe she is, maybe I should follow her example and make a run for it.

"Logical as ever I see," I turn to see a forlorn look in Haruno's eye for about a second before she masks it.

"So how was your day Hikigaya-kun?" well if she wants to beat around the bush I've got some spare time.

"Pretty normal by my standards." I give a concise answer as I take a sip of my overly sweetened latte, the delightful taste placating my rather chaotic mind. Maybe I could even one day attain enlightenment this way, like keep on drinking sweet coffee and one day you come to peace with yourself and...

"Ahem."

I glance at my companion for this evening to see her giving me an annoyed look, seems like I spaced out a bit too much for her liking. Bu then again I've had quite a bit on my mind and the goodness of coffee...

"You really like coffee don't you Hikigaya-kun?"

Well we will talk about coffee nirvana later sometime.

"I most certainly do," I speak after I take another sip, "it is one of the things that seems to offer a temporary refuge from the world around me." I mean everyone has something like this, I'm just thankful that I didn't pick up smoking like Hiratsuka-sensei or Kawa-don't tell me I forgot her name again.

"Hmmm" Haruno contemplates my words as she stirs her drink absentmindedly before a rather sinister smile adorns her face.

"Then let's play a game Hikigaya-kun," she speaks mock-excitedly as she points a finger at me, this can't be good...

"You have to guess what I find my temporary refuge in." Well, not as bad as I thought it would be. Our food arrives as two plates are placed on the table and the spaghetti is served by a waiter this time, seems like the terrified girl got to escape.

If only I were that lucky.

"You can take your time Hikigaya-kun," Haruno speaks as she picks up a fork and smiles at me, "I'm in no hurry and the food seems to be appetizing."

I absentmindedly nod at her before stuffing some food in my mouth. Something Haruno finds calming huh, what could it be?

Bugging her sister and torturing me spring to mind, but I put them aside. I'm certain that I'm actually missing a vital point here. Mulling over the question I realize how little I actually know about the person that is Yukinoshita Haruno, the question she has posed to me just reinforces the question I asked myself sometime earlier, just who is she?

Rather than beating around the bush, I answer the question for myself, aside from the fact that she is slightly psychotic, that I do not know her. I don't know just who Yukinoshita Haruno is, I know nothing of her, what she likes, what she dislikes; leave alone the fact as to what she desires and what she finds comforting.