Part Twelve

The two walk from the house, and it isn't a long walk before they arrive at the bridge Kenma mentioned. It overlooks a small river which their side city was built around. They take their seat at a wooden bench, which is bolted to the ground, and stay silent for a moment before Kuroo breaks it, "So... what's going on with you? Can you tell me now?" He asks, so politely that Kenma couldn't say no.

He nods slightly and takes a breath. "But before I tell you, there's something I want to confess..." his voice is shaking heavily, so much so that Kuroo gives a concerned look, and even Kenma is scared he'll break down right here in public.

"Go on, Kitty"

Kenma sighs and slowly stands up, he turns to face Kuroo and furrows his brow, locking his eyes on his sneakers. "I'm late.. and I'm sorry. But I really like you. I feel like I have since we were in middle school but I... I'm just now realizing..." he desperately avoids Kuroo's gaze. "And I hate to push this on you, but I need an answer. Just a yes or no will do. It will determine what I can tell you about what's been going on."

Silence.

More silence.

Kenma peeks up to look at Kuroo and he loses his breath. Kuroo's jaw is wide and his eyes making it look like he didn't even comprehend what Kenma just said. "W-what? You like me?" He says, a little dazed.

Kenma nods and tightly grips his hands into fists at his side. "Yes. Yes I do." He says with such false confidence it's almost convincing.

Kuroo rubs his face with his hands, "This isn't really the time to confess Kenma, are you okay? Is your sickness that serious that you feel you need to do this?" Kuroo asks, looking back up at Kenma.

"No you're mistaken, this is a good time to confess, although I've been pushing it off for so long because I already knew the answer." Kenma says, his voice trembling with fear of how his best friend will react.

Kuroo sighs, "I'm sorry.. but you should know.. me and Tsukishima are basically dating now.. and I.. I can't just leave him like that. It wouldn't be right." He explains.

Kenma sighs softly and smiles, he places a hand on Kuroo's cheek, "I know. And that's why I like you so much. You always put others before yourself. I wish you so much happiness." Tears start to stream down his cheeks.

Kuroo takes notice in the tears and quickly wipes them away. "Oh shoot! Kenma please don't cry! I'm sorry!" He says, frantically trying to make his smaller friend stop crying.

"What did you expect me to do? Dance around in glee that I've been rejected? It isn't exactly a happy occasion.." Kenma says. As expected, he starts to cough badly into his hands.

Blood comes pouring out , and this time instead of petals, full flowers come from his throat and out to be displayed in his hands.

Kuroo watches in horror as the mysterious dahlias he has been seeing constantly we're now blooming from his childhood friend's mouth. "I- Kenma are you okay?! What's happening?!" Kuroo asks with desperation. "Is this because I rejected you?! Will it stop if I accept?!"

Kenma spits out words in-between painful coughs, "No you idiot. This isn't magic or some shit! Ugh. You cant just reverse it with meaningless words!" Kenma tries to take a few deep breaths to allow him to speak. "Next time you go to my room, there's a gift for you in the bottom drawer of my desk, I want you take it. It will explain everything." Kenma starts fo cough even more. It isn't visible, but he can feel the vines wrapping around him from the inside, limiting his ability to breathe.

Kuroo places his hands around Kenma's waist and back, he pats his back with force and fear. "What?! A gift? What are you talking about?! What's happening! Y-you aren't making any sense!" Kuroo starts to tear up from seeing his best friend in so much pain.

Kenma's coughs grow worse and worse, the flowers coming out a little bigger and now coming out with stems and leaves.

Bystanders watch with worry and confusion, a few wondering whether they should call an ambulance.

Kenma looks up at Kuroo with soft eyes, "p..please look at m..my gift. Dont b..be a damn wuss." Kenma smiles one last time.

Kenma loses feeling in his limbs and his eyes lose its liveliness.

Full flowers sprout from his throat, like a bouquet that someone had placed there. Kuroo states with wide eyes, filled with horror and shock.

Screams fill the air, and it takes a moment for Kuroo to realize that he's the one screaming. His throat dry and hurting from such loud wails of pain. He grips Kenma's Limp body tightly to his chest. Gut wrenching sobs escape him. "Dammit!!" He screams before sirens are heard in the distance.