Part Thirty One: Spar

I slip away from breakfast before anyone else shows up, I miss Kaylee in the room, she must have been in the bathroom, but I don't mind. I get myself dressed and ready for training, and head out to the track after texting Durst that I'd be out there. He promises to meet me, and after about four laps around the track he's there and I greet him with a timid kiss. We're the first out on the field, but I don't mind, and it isn't long before others begin to show up. Durst and I joke as we push each other to do more rigorous stretches or more push ups than each other. It feels so right, and normal, despite the upside down week we've been having.

Danny doesn't address me, and I'm so grateful, because I don't want to raise any questions with him. We start as a group with another run, which I don't mind, and I revel in it when Durst tries to keep up, and I push him to run faster. After that Danny decides we should all sit in a circle and spar, so we can see any weaknesses we have. It's obvious he's also trying to keep us from pairing off in a way that might put any of the pregnant women under stress. I notice Heather is queasy from across the circle, and wonder if Alice noticed too, or if she'll notice them not being asked to fight. In my opinion Danny is being obvious- but maybe it's just all in my head, and I'm feeling guilty knowing a secret that only a few people are unaware of.

The first matched are Owen and Durst, and I cheer my husband on, of course, but also tease him with good measure when he falters. Their match gets everyone revved up, as they're so evenly matched, that it's a close call. Last minute Owen gets the upper hand, which seems impossible with their weight difference, but he out maneuvers him last minute. Danny calls it, and Durst shakes Owen's hand, and then comes to plop down beside me, his face turning bright red when I tease him by sticking my bottom lip out when he shrugs at me. "Good try babe," I say, and he rolls his eyes.

"I think you distracted me," he says in my ear, before paying attention to the group again. He wipes his sleeve agains his eyebrow, where a pressure spot from a swing has caused his skin to split. It's barely bleeding, but my instinct is to worry, but he shrugs me off with a smile when I try to check it. He's clearly feeling a bit embarrassed, but it feels nice to not be the one who's feeling that way for once.

Dylan and Sam are next, and at the end of a very long match of back and forth we're all cheering on Sam as he tries to remain in the lock he has on Dylan. Dylan's cursing, trying his hardest to get out, but Sam has a blank stare of pure exertion on his face as he goes red to push past his limit. Finally Sam gets another burst and he suddenly pins Dylan so hard against the ground that Dylan groans in pain and Danny calls it immediately.

"Oh shit!" Dylan complains as Sam lets him go, and he rolls onto his back in pain. Sam offers a hand which is gladly taken, and Dylan shakes his hand. "You didn't have to go that hard..." he complains, but Sam is all smiles, and his pride is evident as everyone cheers loudly and he smiles widely. Even Alpha Danny hollers at his accomplishment and claps loudly- even though usually he tries to be unbiased. Alice stands to envelop him in a hug, it seems like Sam really got into it, and pushed himself more than he has in a long time.

"How about you up next Alice?" Danny asks, probably cause she's already standing, and he wants to see if she's in the same mood.

"Actually Alpha, can I sit this one out?" She asks. Danny doesn't hesitate to ask why.

"Cause she's pregnant!" Sam cheers loudly and everyone breaks into a roar and rushes towards them, stumbling off of their feet to envelop them.

"No way!" Danny cheers a he hugs Sam close to him, in a mess of the rest of us hugging them.

"Yes sir!" Sam nods eagerly as Durst tussles up his hair.

"I'm so happy for you!" Cora cries as she fights to hug Alice.