Chapter 6

VI

Laura Roslin wanted to stay with Kara constantly, but she had been appointed as Acting Colonial President, with the disappearance of Gaius Baltar after the rescue and the death of Vice-President Tom Zarek during the rescue. She had responsibilities to everyone in The Fleet, not just Kara and Kacey.

She met that afternoon with Admiral Adama, Commander Lee Adama, Colonel Saul Tigh, Karl Agathon, and the current CAG, Brendan Costanza. Also along was one of the members of the Quorum, Diedra Wych, who was the Caprican representative.

"I've called this meeting, obviously, so we can straighten out the government, since we're back in space. Diedra, I appreciate the confidence that the Quorum has shown in me. I will do the very best I can to uphold that confidence."

She shifted positions in her chair, inside the War Room, which had been appropriated for this meeting.

"First order of business, is that we need a Vice-President. I am open to suggestions, but I also have my own ideas on the subject. The floor is open."

For twenty minutes, the group discussed who would be a heartbeat away from the Presidency. Most of the names bandied about came from current and former members of the Quorum, as well as other notable members within The Fleet.

Laura took all of it in, letting the discussion settle for a few moments, then making her own views known.

"I don't think there's a bad choice with any of those names", she said evenly, her best poker face on. "I want someone who commands immediate respect throughout The Fleet, most especially on Galactica, and someone who has experience in high-pressure situations, and can make a decision under such pressure."

"Anyone in particular, Madam President.?"

"In fact, Admiral, I was thinking that there's one person who fits all those criteria, and that's Lee."

Lee went pale for a moment. "Me?"

"I've listened to the audio transcript from CIC on Pegasus before it was destroyed. You remained incredibly calm while the ship was basically falling apart around you. You instilled a sense of discipline in your troops, and they responded well. You speak your mind, but you're also true to your beliefs, and you're as honest as anyone I know."

Bill Adama wanted to smirk, but this wasn't the place for it. He had always thought that Lee could do whatever he wanted, and thought Roslin had made an astute choice.

"What do you say, Mr. Adama?"

Lee pulled for a moment at the collar on his uniform, but as usual, spoke calmly. "I've never been a politician, Madam President."

"Bullshit", his father said, this time with a smile. "When you command a Battlestar, especially in war, you have to be a politician to an extent. Politics come with the territory."

"I've never held any office before", Lee objected. "I don't know the ins and outs of the Colonial Constitution."

Bill shook his head. "Your grandfather was a lawyer in Constitutional and Criminal Law, Lee. Remember him giving you all those law books? I have them onboard the ship. Book learning is only part of the education you need, but everything is in there. The rest comes with experience."

"There might be some blow-back from quite a few quarters", Saul Tigh offered. "An Adama running Galactica? An Adama as Vice-President? Just something to think about."

"He's right", Diedra Wych said with no overt feeling. "I think Lee is a good choice, but as you said, Admiral, politics and the military go hand-in-hand."