Chapter 18

XVIII

Despite President Roslin's fears, there wasn't a huge uproar over the legislation to make abortion illegal for the time being. Perhaps had this been put into effect before New Caprica, there might have been, but after that hell, it appeared that the last remnants of the Human race truly realized the gravity of their predicament. There were a few grumblings, but not a lot.

The Adama men, along with others in the military, were ironing out protocols for the female pilots if, and should, they get pregnant. Despite being, by his own admission, "old-fashioned", Bill Adama didn't like the fact that this whole thing seemed to fall on the women of The Fleet. He knew what was going to happen would be difficult, but he had sent out a letter to his troops that the men who got the women pregnant, unless the pregnancy was done via anonymous artificial insemination, would be held responsible for helping to raise the children they helped bring into the Universe. If a man's sperm were donated with the woman knowing who the male was, he had the same obligation.

It would be a headache, but Bill Adama was willing to make it work. Yet he had to balance the needs of having more children, with the necessity of protecting The Fleet. He and Laura had had many positive, if sometimes contentious conversations about this. Laura had agreed that the military was unique in this situation, and she gave the Admiral a lot of leeway in how it was implemented.

__________________________________________________

Laura had convinced her wife Kara, that it might be a good idea for them to have an interview with a member of the press. First of all, it would give the people of The Fleet a chance to actually see the two together, plus Kara could tell a little of her story about New Caprica, and they would share with The Fleet their plans for participating in helping the population grow.

Late one morning, they held an interview with a correspondent named Sheila Gray, who was considered one of the fairest of all the reporters within The Fleet. It would be a live video recording, which the people of The Fleet could watch as it happened.

Mrs. Gray as in her thirties, roughly of an age halfway between that of Laura and Kara. She had pleasant, but quite serious disposition. It sounded like a contradiction, but anyone watching her immediately felt comfortable.

"Hello, people of The Fleet", she began with a warm smile. "I'm Sheila Gray, and today, I have the honor of interviewing the President of The Twelve Colonies, President Laura Roslin, and her wife, the First Lady of The Fleet, Colonel Kara Thrace-Roslin."

Laura had been used to such things for years, having been a government official. Kara was not used to sharing herself with the Universe, but Laura had put her at ease, and she was trying to relax.

"Madam President, we will begin with you. I'd like to first thank you for your time today."

"Thank you for having us, Sheila", Laura responded with a genuine smile, Kara inwardly marveling at how natural Laura was at this.

"To say that all of us have been through hell and back, for almost the last two years, would be an understatement. How would you gauge the current state of The Fleet and our people?"

"Sheila, we have been through so much, since the beginning of this journey. New Caprica tested us in ways that we couldn't have foreseen, and, despite the scars it has left behind-for those of us who were on New Caprica, and for those who remained on or near Galactica and Pegasus during their exile, I believe, have exemplified, for the most part, the best of Humanity."

Laura delved into her own capture and imprisonment, and how it had affected and changed her, as well as her commitment to the Insurgency. Sheila Gray's penchant for reaching deep became apparent.