No Choice

Luisa

Growing restless from sleep, Luisa opened her eyes to the warmth of the caveman's coat over her. She lifted, trying not to make noise from the parachutes, and placed the coat over his body that was curled on the side of the dropship.

She went outside to the sunlight seeping through the clouds and trees, creating a spotlight over the camp. Eating a handful of berries, she began to practice fighting steps with her new sword.

She counted under her breath to keep a steady pace, stepping around with small pivots. Her wrist would turn to freely move the sword and she brought it over her head, jabbing the air.

Her eyes met the pack of arrows that laid next to a seat and she approached it, setting down her sword. She hadn't been taught archery but remembering how it was used by other Grounders was a guide.

She placed an arrow on the bow, resting the point on the back of her left hand and she drew the string. The black and white feathers grazed her cheek as she pulled her arm at a sharp angle, putting her left foot out and released. The tip spiraled, perfectly piercing the wood of the boundary.

Satisfied with her shot, she continued to shoot arrows at the walls, watching them make a line around the inside of the camp. She removed the arrows, replacing them in the satchel she swung over her back with her sword and she left the camp.

Luisa had trekked to the nearby river that was close to the clearing before Camp Jaha and the line of Grounders. Stripping her clothes to undergarments and pulling out her hair tie, she leaped into the crystal blue water.

Her hair slicked back when she brought her head out of the water and she curled the tiny strands before leaning back to float in the moving water. Moving her arms in small motions, the water ran through her fingers, rippling the currents around her.

Inhale. Exhale. Repeating the form to keep her calm as she gazed wonderfully at the blue sky. There was no war on Earth.

Lifting from the stillness when she realized she was drifting away, she pulled out the water to air dry. Her back was turned to the sun as she sat in a squatting position to sharpen her sword. The blade retracted against the rock, forming a curved shape to a bunt at the top.

She could feel the light wind blowing through her hair and between her thighs and she abruptly stood up at the sound of a twig snapping. Nothing was found in the distance and she switched to her archery set.

Adrenaline had kicked in pushing to her other skills, and she ambidextrously held the bow. She moved the arrow right to left as the string was pressed against her left cheek, pointing in the forest. The breeze tingled her bare legs that brought goosebumps on her arms and her back that was covered in a tank top.

She wondered if the caveman was watching her, the Guard, or a Grounder. Waiting for anyone to appear that wanted her back. Her eyes narrowed at the rustling tree branch and she released the arrow to the slight movement.

Just then, on her right, the caveman came running towards her with an open sword and she ducked, dropped the bow, and grabbed her sword. Turning on the crouched foot, she clashed her sword against his and he smirked. She made a small grunt, pressing a hand on the ground to rise as he continued to attack and she fought.

Backing into the trees, the sound of metal banging happened and he encouraged her to fight offensively. When she did, he started to move back towards the river and she made a final strike before kicking him into the water.

She hovered over his clean face to see the crevices of his jawline that was decorated by a lined beard and his emerald eyes distinguished the color of his lightly tanned skin.