Chapter 14

Yuta was filing contracts in Jaehyun's office when his phone rang. One look at the screen caused him an instant surge of anger, irritation, but also fear. He quickly rejected the call and gave his boss an apologetic look.

"Someone really cares about reaching you," he commented, being present at the previous three connections.

"It's nothing important."

"Are you sure?" asked Jaehyun "You can call them back, I don't mind."

"No!" The omega cut him off abruptly, "I'm sorry, I mean someone's just kidding. They have been calling me for several days."

The smile faded from Jaehyun's face and worry appeared in its place. The man stopped typing on the laptop to give him full attention.

"Didn't you think it might be Hansol?"

Hearing these words, Yuta wanted to laugh. He could imagine an alpha wrapped in tablecloths at the bottom of the river, dialing his number. But moments later he felt unease.

"Why would he be calling me now?" he replied reluctantly.

Jaehyun didn't answer. There could be many reasons in his eyes, but he kept them to himself. Yuta was grateful for that. This conversation wasn't going anywhere, anyway.

"Your meeting starts in fifteen minutes" he pointed out while looking at the clock.

Alpha nodded and began collecting his things. He stopped by Yuta and handed him the keys.

"When you're done, close behind you."

"Aren't you going to come back?" he asked, surprised.

"The meeting will end at eight, anyway. There's no point in coming back."

"Jaehyun from a few months ago would have never said that."

The man shook his head with a smile and pointed to the pile of unread contracts.

"That's still ahead of you and you still find time for such comments? I'm impressed, Yuta."

"Go or you'll be late."

Jaehyun left the room, leaving Yuta with his own thoughts. Omega reached for another briefcase, but he couldn't focus. The image of Hansol with blood running down his face was still in his mind.

He shook his head, trying to concentrate on his work. It's all the fault of those weird phone calls. They slowly make him paranoid.

Didn't you think it might be Hansol?

"What a stupid question" he growled, tossing the briefcase away.

Jaehyun had a right to think so, but did he have to say these words aloud? With them, he gave life to the sick fear in Yuta's mind. What if there was something to it? What if it really was Hansol? Who else would have his number and a reason to call him? And that goddamn breath. A good joke would contain some words, an attempt to screw with him. Nothing there was nothing in this situation. Literally nothing.

Despite yesterday's words, Kun asked Ten again to help him paint the room., yesterday was a very pleasant day for them, so why not repeat it?
They met right after work, exchanging smiles that hid so many feelings.

"Did you buy wine?" asked Ten when they entered the store. Despite their best efforts to keep their distance, their hands were rubbing against each other every few steps.

"I'm not making the same mistakes," he said, turning into the left alley.

"Somehow I sensed such an answer," Ten laughed.