chapter five

andrew and eunbi ended up having to end their shift early, leaving hana back to lock up the café. she was walking around the café, wiping and cleaning up.

"you think you can take a real order from me this time?" a voice asked.

hana looked up and smiled, "sure."

setting the cleaning bottle and towel on a table, she went behind the counter and washed her hands before asking, "what can i get for you jay?"

"just a regular frappuccino," he replied.

hana prepared jay's coffee while the cafe's music filled the silence between the two.

"surprised it's not busy right now," jay spoke.

"i'm kind of glad it's not," hana replied, "i'm the only one working, so it'd be chaotic."

"weren't there two other people?" jay asked, leaning on the counter.

"yeah, but they needed to leave early," hana replied, handing jay his coffee.

"thank you," he spoke, "come sit."

"i've got to clean up," hana chuckled.

jay sighed, "you don't have anything to ask about earlier?"

"what do you mean?"

"all the cameras and stuff," jay explained.

"well of course i do," hana spoke as she wiped the last table, "but i'm in no place to ask you questions about your personal life unless you tell me."

"i know you're famous though," she added.

"well that's one way to put it," jay chuckled.

"wait .. you knew about me .. being famous? before today?" jay questioned.

"of course not. i meant it's obvious that you're famous because of all the cameras and stuff. i truly didn't know you existed until that day i ran up to you," hana replied.

"ah," jay nodded.

"well then .. can i trust that you won't give my number out?" jay questioned.

hana turned around to look at him and sighed, "of course you can. who would i possibly give it too? i'm not the type of person to give out personal information like that."

"good," jay smiled, "i just .. i don't know. there are people who would die for my number and it's slightly creepy you know .. the things they do and all that."

"die? well if they die .. they wouldn't be able to call your number anyways," hana smartly spoke, making jay laugh.

"what i meant is that there are some people who would go lengths to get my personal information," he corrected with a smile.

"i know i know," hana chuckled, "but why?"

jay shrugged, "i guess it's just the life of a artist."

"ohh so you like paint and all that stuff?" hana asked.

"no not that kind of artist," jay laughed, "a music artist. the kpop industry you know?"

"ahh .." hana replied.

"well that definitely wasn't the reaction i thought i would receive," he chuckled.

"what?"

"nothing," jay shook his head.

hana's glare at him made him break and explained, "usually people would .. i don't know? go crazy or act differently when they figure out who i am."

"ahh so you expected me to .. yeah no," hana chuckled, "i'm not really into all of that."

"you're different," jay spoke, "i like that."

"uh thank you?" hana chuckled.

"if you don't mind," hana began, "i have to ask you to leave. i've got to lock up."

"i should walk you home," jay stated.

hana looked up wide eyed and shook her head, "i think i've bothered you enough. it's okay."

"well we live next to each other so," jay shrugged, "come on. go get your things and lock up. i'll wait outside."

with that, he stood up and exited the café, waiting patiently while hana locked up the café.

"ready?" jay asked, receiving a nod.

as they began walking, many thoughts ran through his head.

"so tell me," he began, "why is your ex suddenly acting like this after your break up? didn't you say it was a year ago?"

"ah wait sorry. i shouldn't ask that," he apologized, "sorry for being nosy."

"no no it's okay," hana smiled.

"and to answer your question .. i really have no idea. i haven't heard from him for quite some time, but then he appeared outside my apartment one night acting completely insane," she explained, "i thought he was drunk or something so i ignored it, but he's been appearing in front of me ever since."

"don't you think .. that's kind of creepy?" jay questioned.

"of course i do," hana replied, "but there's nothing i can do. like you said, if i report to the cops, there's a high chance that they'd set the situation aside and worry about the much more serious issues."

"well .. you could move in with your parents or other relatives," jay suggested.

a minute of silence flew by before hana quietly replied, "my parents aren't here anymore. they died."

jay immediately turned his head to face hana and said, "i'm sorry. i should stop talking now."

hana chuckled, "it's fine. you didn't know."

"and i would move in with a relative, but they're all overseas and i'm not quite ready to give up on my life in korea."

"thankfully i have my older brother around," she added.

"you have an older brother?" jay asked, receiving a hum.

"you? do you have siblings?"

"you're looking at an only child."

"wah .. doesn't it get lonely sometimes?" hana asked.

"well yeah," jay began, "that's part of the reason why i wanted to become an artist. to fill in that void you know?"

hana nodded, "well i don't know what it feels like, but i know where you're coming from."

"but .. don't you have something better to do?" hana chuckled, "i mean no offense, but should someone like you have a million better things to do than be with a café girl?"

jay gasped, "what do you think someone like me would be doing then?"

"i don't know .." hana shrugged, "just not this?"

jay laughed, "well i guess i could be practicing or resting right now, but i enjoy your presence so why not walk with you? and plus, your situation adds spice to my life."

"although it has nothing to do with me," he added, oddly confused himself.

"spice?" hana chuckled.