That One English Major

David bolted out the door, checking his phone he realized he somehow caught up to the pain called time and could walk to class. The sun painted the sky various shades of pinks and oranges as it rose. Given it was early fall the sun was still just peeking out over the horizon, waking up with the rest of the city, groggily and slowly on this Monday morning.

      The wind nipped at his nose, the early arrival of Jack Frost left a light pink dust on his face. Store fronts opened their dusty blinds as David passed displaying copies of novels, sweet pumpkin treats, various cozy sweaters and flannels, and bright orange and yellow mums.

      David racked his brain, playing through the rushed morning, trying to remember if he left anything. The sidewalk became the most interesting thing on his walk. Small weeds slowly starting to shrivel up leaving behind the last trace of summer. David's phone buzzed lightly in his pocket. He retrieved it, hands protesting, shaking from the sudden cold. It was a message from Blink.

Blink: Be social today. Find someone to go to lunch with, don't be an awkward human specimen for once.

      David smiled, laughing lightly and shaking his head before typing out a response.

David: I'll try.

      David pocketed his phone, stuffing his hand back in his pocket. It was only September, it should not be this cold. He continued walking down the sidewalk, passing some sketchy alleyways that practically begged you to stay away.

      A little ways down the sidewalk he spotted a pedestrian. Like anyone would in New York. People were everywhere and if you asked this certain insecure boy, he would ramble for hours on how uncomfortable it made him.

      This person though, was struggling to balance walking with a crutch, holding his books, and texting someone. David walked a little faster down the street, eager to help the person in distress.

       Always one to help that David Jacobs, tending to others needs before even beginning to brush the thought of taking care of his own.

       "Let me help you with that." David took the books from the boy.

      Blonde hair and green eyes accompanied by freckles that popped with the pink glow on his cheeks. A light yellow sweater under a white jacket and blue jeans pulled together with a matching yellow beanie.

      He gave David a smile. "Thank you!"

       The boy got himself situated before taking his books back, a piece of paper falling out of one of the pages. David bent down and retrieved it for the cripple glancing at it briefly.

     "Hey you're headed to my lecture. Could you help me? I'm a little lost." David asked.

       He nodded. "Yeah no problem!" His smile only grew.

       David returned the smile, hurriedly sticking out his hand, he introduced himself. "I'm David Jacobs."

       The boy shook his hand. "Crutchie Morris."

David trudged back through the cold with Crutchie. Hugging his blue jacket closer to him, he received another text. Knowing it was a reminder from Blink he didn't bother pulling his phone out.

         "My roommate is being a pain. Wants me to be social I guess. Would you want to grab a bite to eat?" He asked.

         Crutchie kept his eyes straight ahead, focusing on the sidewalk and being careful not to snag his crutch on an upturned edge of cement.

          He smiled "Sure! Jack gets on my case all the time about the same thing." He laughed. "The two of us were going to head to that Mexican restaurant, just down the street from here, you're welcome to join!"

       Thank God. An excuse to get out of this.

        "If you already have plans I don't have to come it's fine really!" David insisted.

           Crutchie adjusted his beanie the best he could with one hand. "No it's ok! It would be good for you. Decreases the chance of getting depression along with good health benefits...."

        The blonde rambled on, somehow keeping up with David who was walking rather fast. But in terms of conversation, he was not keeping up with Crutchie at all. He gave Crutchie a quizzical look, silently asking how he knew all of this.

       "I'm attempting a double major. In psychology, therapist, mind stuff." Crutchie informed him, making sure to put extra emphasis on the 'attempting'.

        "Neat! Is it hard?" David cringed. Who says neat? NeAt.

         Crutchie tilted his head side to side "Depends. Sometimes I'm overwhelmed but all Jack does is an art major. So he helps a lot."

         Crutchies phone rang in his book bag pocket. He curved his arm and was able to reach the phone, pulling it out and checking the ID.

       "Well speak of the devil." He laughed lightly. Hitting the answer button.

"Heya Jack!"

"Mhm."

"Yep!"

       "Well actually I made a friend today." He straightened his posture, sticking out his chest which made David laugh lightly.

       "Yeah his name is David." He said sinking back down to his regular slouched posture.

       "Yeah he's a..." he trailed off angling the phone away from his mouth. "English major?"

David nodded.

        "English major. Has first lecture with me. I think you'd like him."

      Crutchie rolled his eyes clearly annoyed with the response on the other end. "No Jack."

        "Just wait til you meet him."

       "K see you there." Crutchie hung up the phone, shaking his head slightly. "That Jack Kelly."

       David and Crutchie exchanged the usual small talk on the way to pick up Jack. Casual things like how it still shouldn't be this freaking cold in late September- maybe they harped on that subject for too long. They were in a heated debate about Edgar Allen Poe when David first laid eyes on Jack.

And oh shit.