• PROLOGUE •

1939

1939

Cassandra held on tight to the edge of the hospital wall, trying to not look down at the street below. The winter wind blew through her hair, and little flakes of snow floated gracefully though the air. Usually she would've been glad to be outside in the snow, but today wasn't one of those days. She was holding on to the side of a building hundreds of feet above the ground at night, and it was windy and snowing. Not exactly a good place to be.

She set her foot down on a patch of ice without knowing, and slipped. Luckily she caught herself before plummeting to her death, but she climbed a little bit slower from then on. She found the window she needed to be in, looking in to make sure no one was in there. She kicked the glass a few times before it broke, and she climbed in. Taking a small gun from her side, trying not to be amazed that it didn't fall out as she was climbing, she opened the door slightly before walking out.

She slipped into a closet, and pulled a doctor's coat off a rack, slipping it on and putting fake glasses on her face. She found the registry, sitting on the counter of the front desk, and she found her target easily.

Thomas Campbell, rm. 346-B

She walked down the hallway, finding the room she needed. She knocked quietly on the door, and heard a small "come in". She clicked the small light on his bedside, so she could see him, but he couldn't see her very well.

He was a older teenage boy, with honey blonde hair and dark brown eyes. He looked confused, but Cassandra smiled kindly. The look of confusion never left his eyes, but that was ok.

"You don't look like my usual doctor," Thomas said suspiciously.
"Oh, Doctor Wilson had to step out for a moment. I am taking his place for a few hours."
"But you're a woman."
"Do you have a problem with that?"
"Well women can't be doctors."
"Well obviously we can, cause I'm standing right here."

He eyed her carefully, still not sure that she was telling the truth, which she wasn't, but he didn't have to know that.

"So, I'm just going to change your bandages, and then check your temperature, and that'll be it." Cassandra said, unrolling a roll of bandage.

"What's your name?"
"Adelaide Keller."
"Well, Doctor Keller, you don't need to change my bandages because someone came in and did it half an hour ago."
"Well, Mr. Campbell, I have to change your bandages, or you'll get an infection. You wanna be amputated or have your bandages changed?"
"I want my bandages changed," he sighed.
"Good."

She turned away from him, pouring something from a vial into the bottle of medicine.

"Take this, please Mr. Campbell."

He took the bottle, drinking it while eyeing her again. She sighed, wanting this mission to be over. She set the bandages down, and pulled a small throwing knife out of her top. Thomas opened his mouth to scream, but Cassandra ran to him quickly, putting a hand over his mouth.

"Now, Mr. Campbell, you seem like a swell kid, but I have to kill you, so sorry."

She stuck the knife swiftly into his chest. He screamed, and Cassandra leaped up into the vents as someone came running. She crawled through them, down to the ground floor. She walked out onto the street, tossing her coat into a trash can. She got into the sleek black car waiting for her, and as they were driving, the man driving her asked,

"Did you do it?"
"Yes sir, hopefully this has put an end to the powered-people, Inhumans, as they call themselves."
"You've done your research, haven't you?"

Cassandra smiled, but there wasn't any real emotion in her eyes. She almost felt bad for the Inhumans, or at least the little child version of herself did. They didn't deserve to be murdered, and mutilated for having something that they had no choice in getting. But she had a job to do, and if she felt bad about it then she should be back in Russia, six feet underground with the other little girls who couldn't help but feel bad for the people they killed.

"What about Reinhart? You know anything about him?" Cassandra asked.
"He's still testing the girl from the village. Nothing's happening yet, but he thinks he on to something."
"But you think he's crazy," she assumed.
"Oh I think he's insane, but if the Director believes in him then we should too."

She nodded, and went silent. The drive back to base was nothing short of long, but she managed to not get car sick, and they made it back. Walking in, she immediately went to the showers and cleaned Thomas' blood off of her. She sighed, putting on new clothes, and headed straight to her bunk. She clipped the handcuff around her wrist, and went to sleep.

yay i finally got a chapter done!!
happy thanksgiving to all who celebrate, i love all of you so much ❤

please don't forget to vote/comment for i would greatly appreciate it. love you guys 3000-

 love you guys 3000-