• ONE •

2017

2017

"What are you doing?" Steve asked.
"Nothing," Cassandra said, slipping her notebook behind her.

Steve raised a brow, and she raised one right back. (Being around Peggy for enough time made you pick up a few habits.) Steve eyed her suspiciously, and shook his head. He handed her a mug, with a chip on one side and she looked at him funny.

"Are you poisoning me?"
"No, Cass why do you think I would ever do that?"
"It's a joke! Plus, I wouldn't put it past you," she laughed while taking a sip. "You know when Nat's coming back?"
"No, far as I know she still with her sister."
"You know that's not technically her sister right? And I feel like we should be helping her, you've seen the news."
"Cass, she said she wanted to handle it alone, and she's, well she's the Black Widow!"
"I'm a Black Widow too, ya know."
"Oh yeah, sorry," Steve winked at her.

She rolled her eyes, and turned around to look at her notebook. Flipping through the pages, she found the one she wanted and folded the corner of the page. Cassandra turned back around, and saw Steve fiddling with the small box of records that had been stuck in the corner since they arrived. She watched him curiously as he picked one out of the box.

"It's Been a Long, Long Time," she said.
"Hm." Steve muttered.
"Peg loved it."
"I did too."
"It's the only reason I kept it, was for her. You can listen to it if you'd like."
"No, it's ok. I came in here for something else," he spun around, hands on his hips. "Oh there it is!"

He picked up one of her daggers, and looked at her.

"Can I borrow this?"
"What do you need it for?"
"That my dear Cass, is none of your concern."

He turned around and walked away with it before she could keep asking him questions.

"Nice beard Steve!"

Cassandra flipped back to her notebook. Unfolding the page, she read it over. She had became interested in remembering all the things she'd forgotten, both recently and from her past, thought she didn't believe she was, getting old, so to speak. But she did want to know what she had done during the blurs or the gaps in her memory. So whenever she had had a dream, she'd wrote it down. Sometimes it would be something meaningless, like she was flying like a bird in the clouds or something, but other times it was more important than that.

Today she remembered her birthday two days after Howard and Maria had died. That was a fun day...

"Miss Barnes, I insist that you go home to rest."
"Mr. Jarvis, I am fine."

Sure she looked like she hadn't slept in weeks, which maybe she hadn't, but Jarvis wasn't looking so hot either. They both knew that one of them had to stay with Tony. And it wasn't like she didn't trust Mr. Jarvis, but Peggy had told her stories of how the almost overly calm man had lost it and shot someone. Granted, that same person had just shot his wife, Ana, and the bullet did nothing, but still.

"One of us has to stay here," Mr. Jarvis' mouth opened, but she kept talking. "And before you say it has to be me, let me remind you that you have a wife. You have someone to go home to, you have someone. I don't. I have no one. No one to wait for me to come home, no one to smile at me when they see me walk through the door-"
"But may I remind you, Miss Barnes," he interrupted. "That today is the day you were born. You shouldn't be spending this time taking care of yourself."
"Oh please Mr. Jarvis, I lived many years without having a birthday. I can spare one year."

She sat down in a chair, and waited for him to give in and go home.

"Mr. Jarvis, I know this has been hard for you. You need to go home, rest, and you live across the yard, so if I need anything I'll call you, ok?"

He hesitated for a moment, before sighing and agreeing.

The rest of the night was Cassandra sitting downstairs in that same chair waiting for Tony to come down. Tony and Howard were much alike, and when Howard was upset, the best thing to do was to let him come to you. If you tried to comfort him he'd get all angry and even more upset, it never ended well.

Cassandra took a deep breath, closing the notebook and putting it aside, and tossing the pen she was using into the box of records. She laid down on her bed, staring at the peeling paint on the ceiling. This place they were stating in was much nicer, compared to the others they'd stayed in.

"SAM!"

Cassandra sat up quickly, running towards the sound of Steve's yell. She turned to Sam, hands on her hips."

"What did you do."
"I dropped your knife."
"Well pick it up."
"That's the thing-"
"He threw it out the window."
"SAM!"
"Steve bet me I couldn't throw it and hit the dart board in the middle."
"Sam, that was one of the only knives I have left. Do you know how hard it is to buy knives WHEN YOU'RE A WANTED CRIMINAL?!"

that ending is, ehh.
but hey! at least i updated.
this chapter is pretty good i think, and i hope you enjoyed it.

i hope you are having a good day, or you had a good day, and i love you so much❤-