Chapter 7

It was a week before the Yule ball and I have yet to be asked. I was hoping that Harry would but I didn't want to get my hopes up too high because it seemed quite unlikely.

I sat in the great hall, eating lunch quickly before my next class. All of a sudden someone sat next to me and I turned to see that it was Harry.

"Hey, y/n. I have a question, " he said nervously.

My heart started beating faster as I responded, "yeah ok, what is it?"

"Well you're a girl and if someone were to ask you to the Yule Ball, how would you want them to do it?" he asked.

I felt butterflies growing in my stomach, "well it depends on the girl. If they are a bit shy, like me, " I said, hinting towards the fact I wanted to be asked by him. "Then I would just simply walk up to them and ask kindly, " I finished explaining.

"Alright, thanks y/n, " Harry said while standing back up.

"Wait, Harry. Did you have anyone in mind?" I asked, hoping he would get what I was hinting at.

"Yeah, Cho. Cho Chang, " he responded, "see you later y/n."

My heart sank as I realized what he said. I sort of knew that he had liked her, I just didn't want to believe it. No matter what I did, he hardly even noticed that I had grown to fancy him over the past couple of years.

I picked up my fork and pushed around the rest of my food. I hardly ate any of it because I was too upset, not having much of an appetite anymore. 

After I had enough of playing around with my meal, I headed towards my next few classes.

_________________________________

The next day I had study hall with Snape which had many of my friends there, including Harry. I was not in the mood to see him but I had to go anyway to avoid getting detention.

I sat down at the table only soon later to have Harry sit beside me. I rolled my eyes as he said, "hey y/n."

"Hi Harry, " I said back with an annoyed tone.

"Is something wrong?" he asked.

"No, everything is perfectly fine, " I said, spreading a fake smile on my face then continuing back to my homework for charms class.

Ron, who was on the other side of him, started to talk. "Have you asked anyone yet Harry?"

"No, I was going to ask someone yesterday morning but I got too nervous, " he responded. I just rolled my eyes once again, thinking about our interaction yesterday.

"Well, you better hurry up and ask before someone else does. I haven't got the slightest clue who I'll go with, " Ron continued to say.

Fred, who sat diagonally across from us, slid a piece of paper over towards Ron. He took it and looked down then back up at Fred and asked in a whispered shout, "who are you going with?"

Fred looked towards Snape then crumpled up a piece of parchment and threw it at a girl who was two year above me. I had seen her around in the halls but never really talked to her much. She had dark black hair which, at the moment, was dyed blue at the ends, charming light purple eyes, amazing makeup, and an impeccable sense of style. 

Fred made arm movements and mouthed the words, "Abbie, will you go to the ball with me?"

She happily shook her head and Fred turned back to us and winked. I couldn't help but notice George who was staring at me with a dreamy look. When he noticed I was watching him his face turned red which only caused me to giggle.