Chapter #1 (The Countdown)

*DIPPER*

I await the familiar sound. The one that I know will be ringing in my ears in a few minutes. I know it's coming as it always does, but it was different this time. My green eyes are glued to the minute hand of the clock, conveniently placed over the door, my gateway to freedom. Freedom. In reach yet still too far. It's not fair.

Although there is no physical exertion taking place, a cool bead of sweat runs down the side of my face. Before the time runs out I take a quick glance my best friend from across the room. By the looks of it, neither of us will be able to contain our excitement for much longer. I bring my attention back to the clock, with a swift flicker and begin a steady mental countdown. "10....9....8....7....6...." As I reach "....5...." My thoughts come aloud as the people around me chant quietly, turning from a whisper to a roar. "4....3....2....1!!"

The once synchronized voices break apart into various hoots and howls. Finally after 180 days our sophomore year of highschool was over and we all would go on to be juniors next year.

With a flash I grab my light bag and run out the door, almost forgetting the most important thing, my best friend. As I turn to go get her I am tackled by the devil herself, Mabel Nipse.

"DIPPER!!!!" She screeched her shriek destroying my ear drum, "We technically, in a few months, 86 days, 2,064 hours to be exact, will be juniors!!" Her grin had grown ear to ear. I loved when she was like this.

I'm not sure what would change from her normal crazy-self when she got as happy as she did right now, like this, and I knew it wasn't anything big, but still I could tell because she somehow got even prettier. Maybe the change was in her big beautiful eyes... WAIT? WHAT?? She is my best friend what am I saying?

Anyway I hadn't seen her like this in a while, not since her and her boyfriend broke up in February. So this was a change I liked to see, and I wasn't ready to ruin it with the news I had.

She begins to hysterically laugh in my face as she gets up, the strong aroma of mint toothpaste escaping her mouth. When I grab her hand, in an offer to help me up I mock "Did you eat another tube of toothpaste?"

She giggles a little and looks from the ground to me biting her bottom lip to hide her smile, "Maybe..."

"Really?" I question. She had done this once before but I thought she learned her lesson after throwing up.

"I couldn't resist the sparkles!" She countered with a laugh.

"Okay okay," I say to change the subject and add, "why don't you grab your stuff and we can walk home together."

She agreed and skipped down the hallway to her locker. As she passed, I caught every guy there trying to look up her mini skirt or just plainly staring at her butt. I glared at all of them in disgust. I don't blame them for looking because Mabel is stunning, but I didn't like other guys looking at her. I couldn't even stand the thought of them thinking about her in a dirty matter. It made my skin boil. I tried to shake off the anger, and when I failed retreated back to my locker. Which was pointless because it was empty however I didn't want to sit there and watch all the guys stare at Mabel.

For the last time I opened the locker and peered into it's empty, lifeless space. Next year I would return with a new one on the next floor up, one hopefully closer to my friends and Mabel. My thoughts were interrupted by a hand waving in my face followed by a "Hiya Dork! Let's make like a tree and 'leave'!" She put emphasis on the leave part. I snap out of it and walk along side Mabel as she pokes me continuouslyand asks "Did ya get it?"

"Yes I did." I laugh after the seventh millionth poke.

"Good!" She cheers and the rest of our walk is in silence.