Chapter #2 (Bye)

*MABEL*

Dipper and I walk in silence on the way home, and this doesn't normally happen unless he's hiding something. But what wouldn't he tell me? I'm his BEST FRIEND! We've been best friends since kindergarten...

~~Flashback~~

I was the new kid at our Elementary school in Davenport, North Dakota. At recess I sat in the shadows of a brick wall, the farthest thing away from the other kids. So far the young me wasn't enjoying herself.

When doing Arts and Crafts in the morning and two older, bratty boys poured a can of sparkles down my shirt, pulled out chunks of my smooth brunette hair out of my long, adorable pigtails, pulled together with scrunchies, as well as glued both my hands to the table; making her late for lunch.

So there I sat in my depressing dark corner, where I escaped the joyful screams of other kids and was alone with myself in the world. For a while I was free to eat my yummy turkey sandwich in peace, locked in the gates of my imagination where I played with unicorns, flew with dolphins, and knitted sweaters for cats and pigs. I giggled at the thought and went to my bag to get my sweet treat of smile dip, when I was rudely interrupted by the boys from earlier.

"What you got in the box?" The first boy asked taking a step closer. However he wasn't as intimidating as he wanted to be, because he had to look up to me to make eye contact. Which made me giggle again. Young me was about to tell the bug to buzz off when the other boy came over. He was a big boy a little on the heavy side, who was twice the size of me. I gulped and looked into his beady eyes and was about to answer when I heard a small voice.

"Leave her alone" the voice broke the silence. The person who the sound belonged to stepped in front of me with his chest puffed out, slightly on his tippy toes.

The thug child stood back in shock of the bravery this child had shown, and nodded in respect to that. But no way was he going to let this incident go so he punched the kid in the gut and walked away with his tiny henchman close at his heels.

Swiftly I knelt beside my injured warrior "Thank you for being my knight in shining armor back there." I whisper picking him up off the ground.

He slightly giggled and held his stomach, "No problem. I'm Dipper and I would do it for any of my friends.... if I had any." he murdered the last part under his breathe.

I grabbed his face and held it in my little hands and squished his cheeks and said "I'm Mabel and today's your lucky day because I will be your friend!"

"My best friend?" He looked at me unsure, as if he was asking for too much.

"Of course!" I replied with a giddy smile and we then skipped back to class hand in hand.

~~Flashback(OVER)~~

By the time I wake up and find myself back in reality, I notice Dipper starring at me.

"Uhhh Mabel are you okay?" He asks.

"Yea I'm fine just thinking that's all..." I trail of into the silence again but quickly save myself when I blurt out in realization, "Hey!! What are we gonna do tomorrow?!?! It's our first day of summer we could go swimming in my pool, go to a party, start a fire in my backyard~"

Surprisingly I was cut off by Dipper's index finger on my lips. His smile had faded away and in its place left a sullen look.

"Look," he began in a harsh tone which kind of scared me, causing me to take a slight step back, "we can't hang out tomorrow....or the next day or the next or for the rest of the summer." His voice got softer and softer. Then he finished with a quiet "I'm sorry."

But I barely heard it over the sound of my heart breaking.

He promised. Dipper promised he would be with me this summer and we would be together and we would find him a nice girl but... but... now he doesn't want to? What did I do wrong? I know I am annoying at times but now even my best friend doesn't want to be around me?? I really needed him this summer I've been through a lot.

I turn to leave when his hand grabs mine and pulls me into his surprisingly muscular, chest for a big bear hug.

"You didn't do anything, it's not you in any way, shape, or form" he said as though he had just read my thoughts, "but I have to leave and go stay with my Gruncle Stan in his weird tourists attraction. But if I could I would stay."

I wanted to say something but I was still in shock from how close we were. Even if I tried to talk it would only come out as squeaky muffled sounds into his shirt. I pulled away slightly and opened my mouth to respond but again he interrupted me.

"I don't want to leave you, but my parents are making me.They say I need to get out more and experience new things, but I don't want to do it alone." Now he was starting deep into my eyes, and for the first time I noticed how hot he was. His tangled knotted hair strewn about in long brown locks covering his embarrassing birth mark, yet still leaving his emerald green eyes visible. He was amazing. Again I snap out of it, when he excitedly screams, "I've got an idea!!" He runs into his house and leaves me motionless in his driveway. I look back on my previous thoughts, and my face contorted. Did I really just think that? ABOUT DIPPER?!?! Eww that was not happening.

Just as I clear my thoughts and turn to leave I again stopped by Dipper with a stupid grin on his face. "Come with me!" He states with confidence and no doubt I will say no.

"What?" I giggle then follow it up with, "Where?"

"To the weirdest most remote place in all of Oregon, Gravity Falls." He states out of breathe.

"Really?" I say in a squeal of excitement.

"I'm gonna take that as a yes." He slyly remarked.

I gave him a light punch in the arm then jumped on him, he caught me and spun me. I screamed and laughed but as put me down he mumbled something into my ear but I didn't quite catch it.

I was going to ask him but he nudged me and sent me home telling me to bring clothes and be packed by 5 and his parents would drive us.

Obeying his instructions I skipped home and got my bag put together ready to leave the familiarity of this stupid tiring town. Onto adventure!