Chapter #6 (Falling)

*MABEL*

After I woke up, which apparently was 2 days after the attack, I told Dipper what happened. How the thing came into our room and I hit it and it attacked me and I stabbed it in the eye and everything. Except.... I didn't tell him that I kissed him....

I'm not even sure why I did it. All I remember was him laying there, pale and motionless. Slow shallow breathes struggling to leave his body. And I was there useless and weak and the thought of losing him breaking me each minute he didn't move. So I kissed him. I didn't know what it was going to do but I felt I had to do it. Then magically his color came back and his breathing returned to normal and when I shook him, I got to see his beautiful eyes. It was just..... unreal. The events following the kiss blur together in my memory and all I really recall is the darkness.

But the kiss wasn't because I liked him like that. He was my best friend; a brother to me some would say. It wasn't possible for us to even... It would never.... would it?

NO STOP! Don't think like that. It was the past. And I'm the only one that will ever know.

The two days of my unconsciousness, wouldn't allow me to sleep. So in the middle of the night around 2:00 I threw on a blue spaghetti-srtap shirt and some splatter-paint denim overalls that turned into shorts and snuck out of the room and went for a walk in the woods.

I entered the gift shop and grabbed the axe and a flashlight from behind the front desk. The axe was just in case I had another run-in with that beast. I wasn't stupid, but I also wasn't afraid. That idiotic monster wasn't going to take away one of my favorite places in this town.

"What are you doing kid?" A one of a kind voice rang in my ear.

"Hi Mr. Pines. I can't sleep so I'm going on a walk." I replied casually as if it wasn't pitch black outside.

"I told you call me Gruncle Stan," he reminded me plainly, "and, huh, what's the axe for?"

"Oh....Uhhh..." I was at a loss for words. There was no reasonable excuse, so I said the closest thing to the truth, "in case there's a bear."

He gave a confusing twisted look then replied "That's my girl!" With a smile "Tough and scrappy." He rubbed my head and walked across the room only to rummaged through a box of old useless stuff.

"Take this too." He winked and handed me a grappling hook.

"Oh my god!! This is amazing I love it!!" I preach and lock him in a bear hug. "Thank you so much Mr. Pi~ I mean Gruncle Stan."

Then like that a sprint out the door into the night before he can say anything in return.

>~*TIME GAP*~<

By the time the first flicker of sunlight peeks over the mountain, I have used my grappling hook to climb the biggest tree in the woods. Well at least so far.

It had a breathtaking view. Allowing me to see the whole town and the Mystery Shack. As well as more unexplored wilderness. Until looking down upon the area I had trekked during the night, I hadn't realized how far it was from the shack. It had to be at least a mile and a half. And I was so glad I came out here it was amazing and just.... left me speechless (which was a first).

Unfortunately though, I had to leave my perfect spot and walk back. If I didn't Dipper would get paranoid and have a mental break down wondering where I was. Although it was annoying having him be like that, it also showed how much he cares and I kinda liked it.

For a few minutes longer, I decide, I stay for the magnificent sun rise. Those few more minutes turn into half an hour then to an hour and now I know I've been here too long and need to leave. So carefully I place my foot on the branch below, then the next one, slowly meandering down the tree disappointed about leaving my spot. When I here a crack and the branch I'm standing on breaks, the unwanted surprise also causing me to lose my grip on the branch I was holding. Carp.

I am flailing my arms around hoping to catch hold of one of the passing branches that intensify the bruising on my back, when I remember my grappling hook. I reach for its place, in the belt loop of my overalls when I slice my hand on the axe and lose both processions, along with the flashlight.

"Shit!" I squeal and grip my bleeding hand. I hold it tightly and stop pointlessly trying to grab a stray branch. I don't scream for help or anything. I just let myself fall. I guess this is how I'm going to die.

However, just as I close my eyes in defeat, I am pulled against someone and we fall together. We reach the ground and both fall with a thud.

I moan and lift my head to the stranger that saved me.

"Oh my heavens!" He proclaimed "Sweet Miss are you okay?"

He kindly grabs at my arms to assist me, but of course hits where the monster left his marking.

I moan and unintentionally pull away. Then the blood seeps from under the tightly wrapped gaws.

"Heavens to Betsey!" He screams. Stepping back.

Quickly to save him from any conclusion jumping, I announce, "These are from something else not you or the fall. Sorry."

"Oh sweet girl," he starts softly, a hint of a southern accident finally noticeable in his dialogue, "I don't care where they came from as long as you are alright!"

I giggle in embarrassment and reply while retrieving the axe, flashlight and grappling hook from around tree"Ohhhh, s-s-sorry. And thank you for saving me from falling to my death." I chime in adding the last part as though it were an exaggeration. Then add, "Who are you? And wait how did you....."

I am now standing and get to glance at my savior. He is about 14 with thick white hair gelled back and very pale skin, making the population of freckles on his body appear greater than it really is.

He's in a plain whit t-shirt with faded jeans. I notice a pendant or a necklace hidden under his shirt but forget about it when he lets out a cough. I must have been starring.

"I'm Gideon and how did I what?" He breaks the silence.

"Oh just, it seemed like you caught me from higher up....like you weren't on the ground when you got me...." I trail off because what I say sounds so absurd.

"Actually..." He starts dusting the dirt off his shirt, " I didn't even catch you. You fell on me."

"I-I am soo sorry..." I begin but he cuts me off.

"I don't mind. I'm pretty lucky if I do say so myself." He grabs a light baby blue with a navy blue collar, jacket from the ground approaches me wrapping it around my still bleeding hand.

"Why?" I question.

A laugh emerges from him making me feel like an idiot. But he holds my hand reassuringly and says "Because I was hit by the prettiest angel in all the heavens." And kisses my hand then we walk home. Letting our time slip away as we talk. All our thoughts melt as we learn more about each other. Even paranoid best friends are a thing in the past.