Chapter #3 (The Drive)

I was glad Mabel agreed to come with me but I'm not surprised either. Lately all she's been talking about is getting out of our small little town. Unfortunately she's only leaving to go to an even smaller town; one that's practically microscopic on every map. But still she was excited and it was such a beautiful thing. It was also the only thing saving me from shooting myself on the day long trip.

We had left my house around 5 as I had told Mabel. She showed up wearing her favorite extra large dog-playing-basketball sweater and short shorts under it. Although she was in her pj's with no make up on she was still one of the prettiest girls I'd ever seen.

Her beautiful blue eyes were the best feature on her face, especially when her long hair was pulled back and out of the way, in this case using a pink headband. That way you could see more of her, but believe me her smile was a close second. I liked it even before she got her braces off.

But anyway after I took in the dazzling sight we packed in the car and headed off.

The night seemed to drag on forever, well until Mabel fell into my lap while she was sleeping. And even though I wanted to move her because it was "inappropriate" with my parents in the car, I couldn't bring myself to do it. She was so peaceful like and angle in my arms, cuddling into my chest bringing a welcoming warmth with her. Each breath she took made me smile a little bit more; as she would say 'I couldn't resist the cuteness!' Soon enough I found myself starring at her adorableness, which caught the attention of my mom. She lightly coughed and broke my gaze. Instantly I looked at her in the rear view mirror and all I saw was a sly look that spoke 'I see what you're doing"

"I don't want to wake her." I whispered looking back at Mabel.

"Yea okay." My mom replied with a hint of sarcasm in her voice.

"Look at her," I countered, "she looks so relaxed and I don't want to ruin that."

My mom giggled and gently said, "You know, your father used to say the same thing to our friends when I would do that to him."

Then she looked back at the road but before I slipped into dream world to escape the awkward silence, I thought about Mabel and realized all I'd been doing recently was thinking about her and her charm, and beauty, and happiness, and weirdness, and craziness and I came to the conclusion that I lo..... and just like that I was out cold.

When I woke, the sunlight slipped through the car window and danced on my face. I noticed Mabel was still in my arms fast asleep, however my parents were missing from the vehicle. I debated whether or not I should go look for them, but I chose to stay. Again the girl in my arms trapping me in her warmth. I rested my head back on the seat and immediately felt a jolt.

It was Mabel. She had finally woken from her sweet dream, I had known they were good because she woke with a smile. Quickly she jolted up and rubbed the sleep out of her eyes, "Did I miss anything?" She questioned.

I laughed. "No sleeping beauty," I gestured sarcastically to the pump the car was hooked to, "we're just getting gas."

"Good I don't want to miss a single minute of our Gravity Falls Summer Experience!" She shouted.

We both broke out into a fit of laughter that was put to rest when my parents got back in. They slipped each other shy sly smiles and drove on. Not another sound made for the remaining 6 and a half hours of the travel. Well except for Mabel singing (or should I say screaming at the top of her lungs) along with the radio, as if she had not a care in the world.

Eventually, the car skidded to a stop on a rock road. I was so far lost in my summer reading book "The Sibling Brothers and The Case of The Caper-Case Caper" that I hardly noticed but when Mabel mad an ear ringing shriek I got the hint . The book in my hand was only one of the many summer novels I had brought with me and I planned to finish them all this summer nothing stopping me. Well our arrival did cause me to close the novel and hop out of the car.

Stepping foot on ground was like trying to walk with spaghetti legs. However, rather quickly my legs wore off the jelly like feeling only to be replaced with the sharp burst of pins and needles with each step.

I took my first agonizing step, only to collide with Mabel. Luckily she regained her balance and amazingly caught me before I hit the ground.

"Woah watch where you're going you klutz!" She taunted with her irresistible smile.

STOP IT CONSCIENCE! NO YOU DO NOT LIKE MABEL THAT WAY! NO!!

My inner thoughts argued while Mabel finished pulling me up. We both went to the back of the car to get our bags and were greeted by a fossil. Who I assumed was my Gruncle Stan.

He was a pretty big man with wide shoulders and a tall stance (later I would realize how wrong I was about that!).

"Welcome to the Mystery Shack!" He boomed looking from me to Mabel. "Come to the gift shop and empty your wallets, I-I mean, uhh but key chains!"

Just one glance at him and I knew what he was. A conartist. His 5 o'clock shadow and scratchy voice made me suspicious but his last comment made it a definite fact.

"Stan!" My mom said with fake eagerness in her tone, "this is Dipper you great nephew remember?" He gave me a sideways glance and picked at his ear, "yea yea."

It wasn't very convincing.

"And who's the girl? His secret twin or something?" Be asked bluntly.

"That's his friend Mabel Nipse. She will also be staying with you."

"Okay you get going now I got the kids." He said pushing me and Mabel to the side, away from the car. He took our bags and slammed the trunk. We all waved good-bye to my parents as they rode off into the distance, out of sight and out of mind.