Chapter sixteen

LAST CHAPTER :D

/ y'all finna hate me for this one but /

—a year passes—

Wilbur POV

"I'm going to pick him up from the shop," planting a kiss on the center of her head, he passed Niki on the way out. He finally moved out of that cramped flora shop, and moved in with Niki.

Tonight was the night he was going to propose to her. With Clay and Karl's help of course, they'd catch her off guard and hit right at the perfect moment.

The four of them had been through so much together within the last year. After two months of physical therapy, Clay was allowed to be released from the hospital. He went with Wilbur back to the flora shop at first, but they soon found it was too small a living space for both of them. It was time to rebuild his life as much as they could.

Clay swore to work off the money he owed Wilbur, Niki, and Karl for helping him with his medical bills and for giving him a place to stay. So Wilbur gave him a job.

Wilbur was waiting for the day Clay would ask him about the name he'd said back in the hospital, but he never did. He wondered what part of the overall experience had hurt him the most, what it was that his brain didn't want him to remember.

Getting injured, or losing George.

Either or, his brain deemed it too much for him to handle anymore and built a wall between Clay and his memories. The doctors weren't sure if modern medicine could tell if Clay would ever get his memory back, but they thought if he it was what Clay truly wanted, it's what he'd get. The day's passed by quickly, and soon it felt like the four of them really had become a family. Spending every day together, eating their meals together. Wilbur hoped it never changed.

Though, a part of him was eating away at this happy façade, guilty.

What about George?

A rumor began to spread three months after Clay had been hospitalized. A rumor that reached each of the kingdoms, and quickly.

There was a false king in Versail.

Naturally, these rumors were indeed true. With the proper evidence provided by Wilbur, George made his own choice to face the man who'd kept him locked away for so long. A smile etched on his face, Wilbur remembered an overwhelming sense of joy when he heard the news.

It was a warm and clear sunny day, rare in Clairvent, when a girl walked into his Flora shop. Wilbur was counting inventory when he recognized her immediately as a regular customer.

"Hiya Hallie, How goes it?" He greeted the girl. Her pixie cut black hair had some flowers woven in an out. She was dressed for the day, in a cute maroon colored skit that hung just above her knees and a short sleeve shirt with a funky design that Wilbur kinda dug. The girl took off her boxed glasses and cleaned them off before putting them back on and smiling at Wilbur.

"Sorry, Just can't believe you're actually here today! Thought my eyes were lying to me," Hallie giggled and walked up to the counter, resting her hands on the top. Wilbur rolled his eyes and handed her a box. Some preorder of succulents she'd placed for last week.

"Yeah, haven't you heard I've pretty muted handed everything over to Clay? He's putting me out of a job."

"Speaking of being out a job, did you hear about whats happening to the King of Versail?" Hallie said to Wilbur from across the counter while he rung up her total, "they're locking him away in the dungeon like he did his brother! Isn't that excellent news!"

"Like the heavens choir in my ears," Wilbur laughed. That day he promised to follow in George's footsteps. He'd fulfilled his promise to his mother by giving George the means to take his first steps into his own future. Now it was Wilbur's turn.