twenty nine

Nicodemius King

I was lying down my bed. I couldn't sleep, not after seeing Cedric's face... and all the pain I cost him.

I felt someone shaking me awake. It was Draco, cold sweat on his forehead. He was being very cautious and the pupils in his eyes were shaking. "Let's go." He ushers me out the dorm. We head to the halls our breaths ragged and our footsteps quiet but swift.

We came across Ginny Weasley who was rushing somewhere. "Did she see us?" I ask Draco, he shook his head and we rushed outside.

The eerie night welcomed me and Draco, a carriage waiting for us outside another entrance of Hogwarts. I get on and Draco followed, the black horses sweeping onto the path back to the Manor.

Draco and I pace across the halls of the manor, our steps echoing the marble floor. 

"Nicodemius!" Mother notices our arrival. Aunt Narcissa tends to Malfoy as my father and Uncle Lucius were nowhere to be found, probably carrying out last minute orders from the Dark Lord.

"It would be best if you at least get some rest for your nerves before they arrive." Aunt Narcissa then escorted Malfoy to his room.

"Come, Nicodemius." Mother extends her hand to me. She leads me to a bedroom in the manor. "Sit," She places a stool facing the window with the view of the garden outside.

She heads to a drawer and takes out a pair of scissors from the drawers. She places her hand on my shoulder as her other hand starts combing my hair. Her hands were pale and cold. She starts trimming my hair.

Strands of black and white hair pile at my feet. I swallow. I know, she is just as scared as I am.

"Mother," I call out, my voice almost inaudible. She doesn't answer but I knew she was listening. "What if I hurt.........someone?"

Mother takes a while to answer, brushing the hair off my coat. "Why does it matter, Nicodemius? As long as the Dark Lord doesn't inflict damage on our family. That is what's important." Her voice was also troubled but we both knew what we had to do. We both know what being in this family brings.

She asks me to lay down on the bed, burying me in the silken soft material of the blankets. "Close your eyes and get some rest. I'll wake you up.. later."

I shut my eyes feigning sleep. I knew my mother needed time to think. 

Cedric, Please stay away from there. I'm begging you.

Cedric do as I said. Please.

I beg no one. I wish he heard me. I wish he got sick of me and left that place.

I wish when I come back I don't see a trace of him, even if it means I'll never see him again.

I wish him gone.

I hear a knock from the door which made me get up.

"It's time." Aunt Narcissa stands with Draco behind her.

Mother and I follow suit, hurrying to the place where we were to wait to ambush.