four

⋆⋆⋆

⋆⋆⋆

The way Athena drifted off during chemistry class was something else.

She just couldn't help it. The monotonous voice of Mr Logan, the amount of things she had to learn (knowing that 99.9% of the things that were thought in school were completely useless) and just the fact that she had to do math equations made the girl want to throw the textbook out of the window and herself next. So there Athena was, wondering why the hell she felt her cheeks warming up and a weird thing in her stomach whenever Max Russo talked or looked at her. Of course, the guy was gorgeous, with his caramel eyes, bronze skin and crooked smile, and he had only been kind to her since her first days in the school, but still, the girl didn't quite understood what was happening to her.

And by her side, Max Russo found himself basically in the same situation. His mind wondered to the blonde girl next to him. He was well aware they barely knew each other, but he couldn't help it (she was just so pretty). He also asked himself why he'd get so nervous around her. Usually, Max didn't care about what others thought about him, but he wanted Athena to see that he was more than just a careless boy who was always joking around.

The sound of the bell ringing made them both snap out of their thoughts.

"These were the longest fifty minutes of my life." Athena complained as she and Max left the classroom.

"Tell me about it." Max rubbed his temples. "My brain hurts from listening to that man."

The girl chuckled at his comment, making Max feel a hint of proud for himself. He liked to make her laugh.

"I need to put those in my locker." She motioned to the pile of book in her arms. "My arms are about to fall off." She smiled at him before walking towards her locker. He watched her and sighed, before heading to his own locker (which was across the hallway).

After putting the combination and placing his books inside, Max leaned against the wall and watched the blonde girl from across the hall, so focused on the way she laughed at something Harper said, that he didn't even acknowledge his sister standing next to him.

"Dude, you're drooling." Alex's voice snatched his attention, making him abruptly turn to face her.

Max rubbed his chin, checking if in fact he was drooling. Alex laughed at him.

"Not funny, Alex."

She planted her feet in front of him. "Oh, but it is!" A grin appeared on her lips. "My little brother is catching feelings!"

Max hesitated, awkwardly folding his arms over his chest. "W-What? Do you have another little brother that I don't know? Because I don't know what you're talking about." He tried to go clean.

Alex rolled her eyes. "Why don't you just ask her out? I'm sure she's going to say yes."

The youngest Russo shook his head negatively. "Why on earth she would want to go out with me?"