Flashback | (y/n)'s Past | Part 1

~(🅨/🅝) 🅟🅞🅥 20 years ago~

   I throw up. Everything I painfully swallowed with all my effort has managed to come right back up and out, staining my lap as a result. How many days has it been since I'd eaten? A glossy black bowl is neatly placed in front of me on a tray. I stare at the nauseating soup it cradles. It looks like crushed cockroaches and worms mixed with blood and dirt. The metallic tang of rotten blood remains on my tongue and it makes my mouth sting. I bite my lips and try to numb my senses. It isn't working so far.

This cursed spirit has eaten people. At least that's what I've think its done. It tastes faintly similar to my own blood which I know well, just with a whole gallon of greasy oil mixed with it.

I fight the urge to vomit again. I'm eating people. I stare down at the liquid oozing through the fabric of kimono. I notice something move. A clump of monstrosity, with the appearance of a tumor covered in blood. It moves. It twitches. Like a dying insect... it squirms and thrashes.

     I'm unable to take my eyes off it. As time passes, its begins to wiggle more rapidly. The more I watch it , the more my stomach churns in disgust. I feel bile rising up, so I quickly cover my mouth with both hands, bite my tongue, and breathe. In...out...in..out... It calms me down. Just a little. Just so I can control myself and maintain my sanity. Unable to bear this sensation I squish the roach-like piece of rotten flesh with my bare hands on the tatami, feeling its slimy texture against my fingers as it flattens out on the soft surface. It makes a splatting sound as the juice flows out of the jelly.

     Maybe if I wasn't so stubborn this wouldn't have happened. I'm starving. If I don't eat, I'm going to die. The tray wasn't so empty before. It came with many plates of normal food. Food that normal people eat. The revolting sludge was only a small plate at the corner of the tray. The first time I took a bite I threw up the whole meal. The next day I ignored that shiny black bowl. The next day I did the same. The third day I noticed that the tray lacked something. The desert. Who could blame me. It was the only rebellious thing I could do in this enclosed room. Day after day, the number of plates containing edible food disappeared. Eating away at my hope and aspiration for freedom.

     Four days ago all of the edible food was gone. Just a tray with the shiny black bowl and a wooden spoon was served. Every day. So I decided to disregard it, for five days, I tried.

My empty stomach gnaws at my insides. I'm starving. I'd eat anything right now. That's what I thought when I decided to take a bite of the... food.

     As I struggle to keep my composure. It hits me. The only thing that is making me feel uncomfortable is the taste. It's just the taste. Maybe also the smell. Other than that, my stomach feels the most fulfilled it's been in days. Maybe. Maybe if I just decide not to taste it, I can eat it. I can eat it. I won't be hungry anymore.

     Slowly I raise the filled spoon to my mouth. The mush hits my lip. It's abnormally salty. No. It's tasteless. Yes, it's tasteless. I smile, and take a bite. Just like crushing a strawberry in my mouth, I chew my food. And I swallow it. See. That's not so bad.

     Maybe if I eat everything, then they'll let me out of here. They'll let me see the blue sky again. The blue sky that I love. The freedom. The vastness. The beauty. I bring another spoonful to my mouth. I smile to myself, and take another bite.

-

-

Ten days later...

       I don't know how many days its been. But they're letting me out of the room. I woke up with a kimono folded next to my mattress. When I changed, the doors slid open and they let me out. Slowly I walk. Two faceless people, covered in white cloth wash my mouth out with soap. I don't mind it. It doesn't taste like anything anyways. They wash my whole body and then wrap me up in a prettier kimono.