Snow

Baby, bring the snow, we've got nowhere to go
Just you and me at home, underneath the mistletoe
Fire's burnin' gold, I've got you here to hold
Such a happy sound, singin' Silent Night
~ Bring the Snow ~

Here's a thing about my Husband.

Some people would say he's incredibly boring!

But not to me.

To me Nathan Williams is the most endearing and my absolute favourite person in the world.

We have been married for three months and the wedding was a dream but it's sad that I didn't get the chance to know my husband. I guess that's what arranged marriages are.

Nathan was the most kind, honest and a caring husband. But he was also very quiet and sometimes shy. We weren't the most affectionate couple but I was determined to get him to open up to me.

I draw the curtain aside, the outdoor view filling my heart with pure joy. It was snowing! Every surface was covered with bright white snow, the faintest sunlight making the ground glitter.

I turn to my sleeping husband and that view makes my heart hurt. He's so perfect.

I jump on the bed which makes him groan and a grin spreads across my face when he buries his face deeper in the pillow.

“Wake up Nathan! It's snowing!”

He just grunts in response.

“Nate!” I drawl his name.

Without opening his eyes, he pulls me down in his arms. His large palm cradles the back of my head to his chest and the other arm is slung across my waist, pressing me closer to his hard body. I almost faint from heart failure.

“Haven't you heard sweet wife? A well slept husband is a happy husband.”

His hoarse voice makes me shiver, a great contradiction to his touch which spreads warmth from where he's touching me.

“You're ridiculous.” My voice comes muffled and I subtly rub my cheek on his chest. Nathan wears the softest fabrics to sleep.

He pressed a gentle kiss on my brow and my heart is almost ready to serve itself on a golden platter to him. He's the most affectionate in the morning and I almost always try to wake up with him so I get to enjoy this side of him.

“Nathan...”

“Okay okay.” He turns to lie on his back but keeps an arm around my shoulder. “I'm up. I'm up.”

Nevertheless his eyes flutter close and in a second his breathing evens out.

I chuckle softly before kissing his cheek lovingly. His arm tightens.

“Okay.” I whispered. “I'll let you sleep.”

I snuggle closer to his side and with that I fall asleep right by his side.

❄️☃️❄️

When I wake up after a while, Nathan isn't beside me anymore. My heart sinks with heavy disappointment. Oh well, I must have slept longer than I expected to.

After freshening up, I head to the kitchen to find my husband carefully plating our breakfast.

“You cooked breakfast.” I smiled gratefully when he pulled a chair out for me. He's such a gentleman.

“Thought I'd let you sleep.” he offered a soft grin.

“Can we go out in the snow now?” I ask excitedly after a few minutes of eating breakfast in silence.

When a barely noticeable grimace mars his face, I know his answer won't be the one I was hoping for.

“Do we have to Stacey? It's awfully cold and we aren't kids to play in the snow anymore. I don't see your point.” he tries to make up for his words with a confused smile.

My eyes dip lower in sadness.

“Who says grown ups can't play in the snow anymore? Back home, we always enjoyed the snow as a family.” I grin wistfully.

“Well,” he gets up with his plate. “This is your home now and you can't expect everything to be how it was like back at your home. You're married now, Mrs. Williams.”

Though his tone is soft, his words hurt me.

I watch his retreating back sadly.

“I suppose.”

Though my grumpy husband refused to come out to enjoy the snow, I geared up cozily and stepped out in my winter boots.

The sound of the soft crunch of the snow makes a toothy grin to spread wide across my face.

I lower myself to my knees to start on my snowman. I make tiny little ones first before starting on a big one. But before I can do so, something cold crashes on my back.

A snowball!

I whirl around with surprise and my jaw almost falls on the ground when I see my husband grinning at me, all tucked in his winter clothes, a new snowball already ready in his hands to throw.

“Nathan!”

He chuckled lowly at my enthusiastic shout of his name and strode towards me. His tall, lean body warms my face and I feel strangely protected when his figure towers over me.

Nathan has the softest brown hair and the most beautiful chocolate brown eyes. So bewitching, so easy to get lost into. If you didn't look closer, they almost seem dark but I knew the exact hue cause I had memorized every single thing about him.

Letting the snowball crash to the ground, he brings his hand to my face and his gloved fingers brushes off the snow that must have been on my cheek.

“I thought grown ups don't have a snowball fight.” I offer him a teasing smile.

“A little change never hurt anyone.” He whispered gently.

My heart warmed. He was willing to change. For me.

“Guess it's war then.”

He's caught off-guard when I throw a snowball at his chest.

“Oh it's on.”

I scream when he chases me.

Our bright smiles and laughter fill the morning air and now I'm more than determined to make this marriage a happy marriage with him.

Because that smile, right there, is something I want to see for the rest of my life.

❄️☃️❄️