Christmas Tree

Each shining light, each silver bell
No one alive spreads cheer so well
O Christmas tree, o Christmas tree
You'll ever be unchanging
~ O Christmas Tree ~

"I think we should go pick out a Christmas tree tomorrow." I tell Nathan.

He's been working relentlessly ever since he came back home from work and I just want him to have a little break. And maybe I want him all to myself for a little bit too.

We're both lounging on the living room couch after having dinner, a Christmas movie playing in the background. Watching all these movies is reviving my Christmas spirit and I can't wait to get started on decorations. Nathan, no we have a wonderful house and I'm thrilled to see it all decked out. Especially the roof. I think that might drive my husband a little crazy.

Oh well.

Without looking up from the screen he answers me,

"There's an artificial tree somewhere in the basement or the attic, not really sure, I'll have it out for you."

I shoot him a disbelieving look even though he's not looking.

"Nathan.. I am not decorating an artificial tree. Let's pick out a real Christmas tree. Don't you think it'll be fun?"

He sighs.

"Do what you have to. I'll give you my card. Just pick what you like."

My eyebrows furrow and I am filled with indignation at his reply. If he would have said this a few weeks ago, I would have meekly accepted it but I wanted us to work on our marriage and for that, we had to spend time together.

When silence reigns in the living room, he finally looks up to meet my glare.

"I don't want your money Mr. Williams. I am capable of buying a Christmas tree on my own just fine. I just thought It'd be nice to spend some time with my husband so he could relax from work but I guess he's more than happy to be married to his job."

I stomp to my bedroom to stew in silence, leaving his stunned backside behind.

🎄🎀🎄

A dramatic gasp meets my ear the next morning after I had breakfast alone.

I turn to see Nathan all ready for work. My brows furrow, he looks a little informal to be going to work like this. His brown eyes glimmer when I stare at him confused.

"Why aren't you ready yet? Are we going Christmas tree shopping or what?"

My face instantly lights up with a bright smile.

"Nathan!" I throw my arms around his neck and he holds me tightly around the waist. He tenderly kisses the side of my neck and I feel his lips curve up against my skin when I tremble in his arms.

"Thank you." I murmur.

"Anything to keep you smiling at me like that." A warm blush paints my cheek.

"I just...give me 10 minutes. I'll be down."

I wear a red turtle neck sweater under a warm black coat and gather my blonde hair in a ponytail. With my neat blonde hair and glassy green eyes, mumma always said I looked pristine. Like a doll. I hated when she teased me that.

I let down my hair and ruffle it so it looks a bit messy. Pristine Stacy is no more now.

After an hour at the Christmas Tree Farm, we still haven't chosen a tree.

"Just pick one Stace. They all look the same to me."

The old lady beside me rolls her eyes and mouths 'Men!' to me. I giggle when I see Nate shoot her an irritated look.

"I don't know Nathan. I just can't seem to find 'the one.' "

"We're searching for a tree not your soul mate hon." he pats my hand, sympathetically, that's resting on his bicep.

I've already married him you goof.

"We have to find one with the strongest scent and where you can bend the needles, they don't snap. Our best bet would be the Fraser Fir."

"And you know this how..?" He raises a brow at me.

So hot.

"I'm a Christmas tree expert of course." I wink at him with a grin.

"Hmm...sure it hasn't got anything to do with the Christmas movie you were watching last night?"

I shake my head with a straight face.

"Of course not."

He throws his head back with a laugh and I watch his throat work.

"You're something else Mrs. Williams." He brings my hand to his lips and presses a warm kiss to it.

"Aren't you glad you married this Christmas Tree expert?"

I watch and wait for his answer with a bated breath even though I know we're just messing with each other.

He stares intently into my eyes for a few seconds before he smiles genuinely.

"Never been more happier."

I look away with a blushing smile.

"Um let's go have a look at those Christmas ornaments." I mumble shyly.

"Of course." He follows me with a knowing, proud smile playing on his lips.

"Oh and we must choose a stand for the tree too."

That instantly wipes his smile away.

"Yay, more shopping." He mutters dreadfully.

I smile.

🎄🎀🎄