Dancing

It came upon the midnight clear
That glorious song of old
From angels bending near the earth
To touch their harps of gold
Peace on the earth, good will to men
From heaven's all gracious king
The world in solemn stillness lay
To hear the angels sing
~ It Came Upon The Midnight Clear ~

‘That's Christmas To Me’ was playing softly in the background as I baked some gingerbread cookies. The first batch was already cooled and ready for the icing.

I hum and diligently decorate the Christmas tree shaped cookie with white and green icing. My mind wanders towards Nathan just like how it always seems to do nowadays.

I missed him already. He had to attend a buisness meeting in the neighbouring town before he got a few days off for Christmas. He's been gone for two days now and we've been speaking every night on the phone. He's due to come home tomorrow, so I'm baking all kinds of treats for him.

I smile foolishly when I recall our date.

I suddenly feel warm arms wrap tight around my waist and pull me to their chest. My eyes widen as my heart races in excitement.

“What's got you smiling so sweetly?”

His deep voice washes warmth all over my body.

I lean back on his chest and lick the icing that got on my finger.

“Oh you know, just thinking about the handsome man I went on a date with.”

I shudder with want when he nips my neck.

“Hm..and who might that be? Should I be worried?”

I finally turn in his embrace and wrap my arms around his neck.

“You should. He's very handsome and he's got me pretty hooked.”

A wide smile crinkles the corners of his brown eyes.

I pull him closer and wrap him in a tight hug.

“You're home early.”

He buries his face in the crook of my neck as he sags in my arms.

“I missed you. Got things wrapped up quickly so I could come back home to you.”

My heart softens at his words. I pull back and he protests before I run my fingertips gently over his jaw. His brown hair is tousled messily and his cheeks are a little pale from the cold and exhaustion.

“You should rest hon. You look exhausted.” I press a light kiss on his nose.

He hums as he places his head back on my shoulder. I run my fingers through his hair and apply a gentle pressure to relax him. He groans softly as he murmurs how good it feels.

“It smells good in this kitchen and you smell of cookies.” He nuzzles my neck and I giggle when his stubble scratches my sensitive skin.

I massage the back of his neck. He shivers as goosebumps break out on his arms.

“I was baking your favourite treats. Thought I'd welcome you with them.”