Family

Through the years we all will be together
If the fates allow
Hang a shining star upon the highest bough
And have yourself a merry little Christmas now
~ Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas ~

Nathan and I had the silliest fight this morning while we were getting ready for the Christmas Eve family dinner. Honestly, I can't seem to even remember the reason but we stretched it enough for us to act a little cold to each other.

I slam the car door close behind me loudly when Nathan parks in the driveway of his parents house. I miss my parents but they weren't able to make it here for Christmas. It's sad cause I didn't want to spend my first Christmas married without them.

I nudge Nathan out of my way and I hear him grunt when my elbow meets his ribs. A small smile tugs on my lips, loving our little fight a little too much. Staying mad at your husband is fun.

“We're home!” I announce as we enter the three stories tall, white picket fence house. My legs are immediately tackled by five screaming children. The sixth child calmly makes her way towards Nathan and blinks up at him.

I roll my eyes with a smile when Nate laughs and picks his favourite niece in his arms and her face splits in an adorable grin as he nuzzles her cheek with his nose.

My heart clenches as his eyes meet mine. I can't wait to have our baby. No doubt Nathan will dote on his child.

“Come on Aunt Stay!”

“We're making Christmas ornaments for the tree from popsicle sticks!”

“Granmama promised to hang them on their tree.”

The triplets quickly complete each other's sentences.

“Give them a little room to breathe you little devils.” I hear Nathan's mum admonish them as she quickly makes her way to me and pulls me down for a tight hug, kissing both my cheeks in greeting. The children scurry away giggling.

“Let my daughter in law breathe love. No doubt you're smothering her in your arms.” Her husband shakes his head.

Lisa pulls back with a gasp and hits her husband's arm. I feel Nathan slip his arm around my waist and press me closer to his side. I look up at him shyly, forgetting all about out little tiff.

His eyes glimmer as he looks down at me.

“Ah look at the way she's smiling at him. Back in the days Liz, you used to smile at me just like that.” We hear Nathan's dad say wistfully.

“I still smile at you like that you dolt!” She sweetly smiled up at him.

He bopped her nose. “Oh but over the years I've learnt that that smile is nothing but trouble.”

“Why you little!” Lisa clenched her hand in a fist.

Nathan tightened his hold on me, the other hand pinching the bridge of his nose.

“Ignore my parents Stace. They still have a lot of years to grow up.” Nathan smiles apologetically.

“Nate! That's no way to speak to your parents.” I scold and I hear his dad laughing. Lisa pinched my cheek.

“Aw aren't you precious? Maybe you'll teach my son some manners. Come here Nathan, give mama a kiss.”

“Mum.” Nathan's cheeks reddened as he stooped low to kiss his mom's cheek.

“Come on in hon. Don't let my parents hold you up.” Nathan's older brother Kenneth waves me in, his wife bouncing their youngest baby in her arms.