Snowstorm

The snow is snowing
The wind is blowing
But I can weather the storm
Why do I care how much it may storm
I've got my love to keep me warm
~ I've Got My Love To Keep Me Warm ~

The window rattles as another furious wind blows by. I've got the fire started and tightly shut all the doors and windows. As the evening wears on, the howling wind is getting more scarier and the weather awfully dark and cold.

I curse when once again my call to Nathan doesn't go through. There's a sick churning in my stomach as I stare at the front door longingly, waiting for the lock to turn.

The radio announcer's voice rang in my ears as he once again dished out warnings.

“The weather forecast is calling for a major snowstorm tonight. Residents are requested to clear the road and take cover as soon as possible.”

My heart races in raw fear.

“Everyone is advised to stay home, stay warm and sit out what will be a very chilly night.”

I place a hand on my mouth to muffle the sob that is threatening to burst out. Oftentimes you don't really pay attention to the warnings, but when it concerns your loved ones, your lips don't stop praying and your heart is all the way up to your throat.

“Nathan please... Oh God please bring him back safe to me. Please..” I fall to my knees and tightly shut my eyes close as I beg God over and over again.

A cold draft blows in when I hear the front door quickly open and close. I'm on my feet in less than a second and rushing into Nathan's arms. His eyes widen and he drops his bag to catch me in his arms swiftly.

“Thank God you're home. Thank God you're safe. Thank God...” I keep murmuring in his chest as he heaves a deep sigh.

“Stace at least let me remove my shoes. I'm covered in snow.”

His tone is a little annoyed and my heart hurts a little. Doesn't he know how worried I was? Doesn't he know that for every second that passed by I was losing my mind? Doesn't he know how much I was begging God to get him home safe cause even the thought of losing him makes my soul ache in a way I never want to feel again?

I pull back as if he burnt me and I turn around quickly to swipe my tears away.

“Of course. I just..” I take a deep shuddering breath, my back still facing him. My heart is still racing with residue fear, if that's even a thing. “I'll get the hot water running for you and I've already removed some warm sweaters and blankets to keep you warm.”

“Stacey...”

“And I'll make you some hot chocolate or coffee or anything you want.”

“Stace…”

“Dinner is already ready. By the time you're finished with your bath, I'll have it ready for you. All warm and hot just the way you like.”

“Hush sweetheart.” his arms gently enclose me from behind and I feel his lips press a kiss to my temple. I'm frozen with shock as his lips linger for a few seconds before he tenderly turns me in his arms.

His lips caress my forehead as he murmurs against my skin.

“I'm sorry. I know you must have been terribly worried about me and I feel so damn flattered and blessed to have you waiting for me back home.”

He pulls away a little to look into my red rimmed eyes seriously.

“I'm sorry I snapped at you love. It was crazy out there and I think the cold went to my head a little.”

He gives me a small smile.

“But that's no excuse to treat you like that so I'm sorry.”

My heart wildly flutters in my chest at his words. My eyes fill with tears again so I quickly wrap my arms around his waist tightly and bury my face in his hard chest.

“I was so scared.” I murmur, enjoying the way he ran his hand through my hair softly and how the other arm pulled me closer by the waist, as if he couldn't get enough of me.

“I was scared that you wouldn't come home. I never want to feel like that again.”

I press my cheek to his chest and I close my eyes as I voice out my deepest fear.

“I can't lose you Nathan. I don't know what I'll do if I ever lose you.” I whisper, feeling safe in his arms, as if I could say anything and everything to him without any fear or hesitation. I've never felt like that with anyone.

He pressed a rough kiss on top of my head.

“I wouldn't dare to leave you sweetheart. I would never leave you to face this world alone. You'll always have me.” he states passionately yet quietly.

Darkness encompasses us. The storm probably knocked out the power and yet Nathan keeps me enveloped in his strong arms for a long time.

I pull back and shyly tuck my hair behind my ear. This is the most affectionate and open we've been with each other.

He grins at my flustered state and I lightly slap his chest as I flutter away from him, my heart happy, a wide smile on my lips.

Slowly but surely we were getting there.

One day at a time.

🌬️🌨️🌬️