Doubts

Candlelight burning bright
Underneath a cool, starry night
You and me, endlessly, it's the greatest gift
That love could give to me
~ Snowflakes of Love ~

It was nearing noon when the doorbell rung throughout the house. I wiped my hands on the napkin as I hummed and made my way to the door.

I smile when I pass our newly decorated tree and the crib we'd placed on the mantel last night. I chuckle when I recall Nathan's face as he almost dropped a little statue. Yesterday was a new territory for the both of us and I think we passed with flying colours.

I open the front door, my smile dimming slightly when I notice it's Mrs. Bennet. Harriett Bennet was a beautiful woman in her early thirties and an old friend of the Williams family despite her habit of stirring trouble. The Williams had narrated colourful stories about her that had me a little guarded and cautious around her.

“Oh Stacey! It's so nice to see you again.”

She gives me a quick hug before walking past me inside the house.

“Please do come in ma'am.” I mutter under my breath.

“So sorry to stop by suddenly but I was passing by and I just had to meet you.” She throws herself on the couch then crosses her legs in a dignified manner before gesturing me to take a seat.

Of course this lady will tell me sit in my own house.

Her sharp eyes assess my outfit and I shamefully remove the stained apron.

“How are you Mrs. Bennet?” I ask pleasantly.

“Oh,” she waves her hand dismissively. “Call me Harriet.”

I nod.

“My husband calls me Harry and it's so annoying. Others think it's quite cute.” She rolls her eyes.

“Can I get you anything to drink? I have cookies too.” I offer with a bright smile.

“Oh hon. No cookies for me. I can't risk eating sugar.”

I force an understanding smile even though I would never refuse free cookies.

“So where's that handsome husband of yours?” She looks around the decorated house. I clench my hands in a fist.

“Work.” I reply crisply.

She jerks her head towards me.

“Honey you better keep him on a tight leash. Men do a lot of other work under the pretense of work.”

My blood boils.

“Nathan isn't that kind of a man. I trust him.”

She rolls her eyes.

“Every woman trusts her man until he proves her wrong.”

I don't reply.

“So how's your marriage so far? Exciting?”

A smile graces my lips effortlessly in reply.