Chapter fifteen

I was frozen in my spot for a few seconds before I jumped up from the bed and leapt into my best friend's arms. "West!" he smelt like he always did, soap and sun. He smelt like home. I felt my throat close and tears spring to my eyes. I hadn't realized how much I missed him. He wrapped his arms around me and laughed.

"Nice to see you too Alastor," he called me by my last name like he always did.

"I am here too you know," Finn said. I hadn't realized how long it's been since I've heard his voice.

I untangled myself from West and hugged my little brother. "What are you guys doing here?" I asked when I pulled away.

Someone behind me cleared their throat and I almost forgot that half of the Devara was in here. I stared at Bash who had a glare on his face, which wasn't uncommon but I could tell it meant something. He was not happy they were here. "Right," I said. I looked between Finn and West and the Devara. "This is my friend West and my brother Finn," I Introduced them. I pointed to everyone in the room. "That's Bash, Octavious, Nyan, and Everson. They're my ... friends."

My brother had his bright shy smile on his face and he waved awkwardly to them. West's eyes were stuck on Nyan. He looked at her transfixed, in a daze admiring her beauty. I didn't blame him, she was angelic. I giggled at his face and made way to sit on my bed, pushing Everson's feet off of my spot. "What are you guys doing here?" I asked and I was afraid I already knew the answer.

"Mom sent us," Finn replied first. His eyes shot around the room as if he were unsure of how much to say in front of them. I saved him the trouble and responded.

"I'm not going."

"Ryn, come on dont be like that," West said. "You know she would have eventually told you-"

"Did you know?" I cut him off sharply.

He looked stunned at the tone in my voice and he didn't respond. I felt like I couldn't breathe. He knew. I looked to Finn but he avoided eye contact with me. "Both of you? You both knew!" I accused. More lies. More lies from the people that I care about. I couldn't take it.

"Ryn it's not what you think," Finn started.

"What? it's not the people closest to me lying straight to my face?" I spat at him and he flinched, his eyes pained. I felt an abnormal amount of satisfaction rush through me. I wanted to hurt him. And a part of me hated that. I got up from my spot and pushed past West to the door.

"Wait, Ryn." West grabbed my arm forcing me to stop. In less than a second west's arm was off of me. I looked up to see that Bash had ripped West's arm off me. I looked around to see that they had all stood up, all of them had stood to defend me. I felt security run through me. I pushed down tears. My friends, the Devara. They cared about me and it made something in me crack.

"Don't touch her." Bash's voice was deadly.

"H-how did-" but West cut himself off shaking his head. He turned back to me but I was already out of the door.

I rushed through the corridors of Crestwood until I found a familiar set of doors, the fountain looked as it always did. Angel statues came off of the fountain creating a heavenly look. Something about this fountain always kept me steady. I sucked in a deep breath allowing the crisp air to calm my heart beat. I sank down on the grass and put my head in my hands. I wanted to scream. I wanted to cry.

"I thought I'd find you here."

I don't flinch or move at the sound of Bash's voice. Somehow I knew this time that he would follow me. I felt my hands being pulled from my face. And Bash's emerald gaze staring down at me. "Don't cry."