Chapter 3

Keefe took a deep breath. "Come on, spit it out already!" Ro exclaimed.

"What?" Sophie asked.

Ro muttered something about oblivious blondes. "C'mon, Hunkyhair. Say it. You have 30 seconds until I say it for you."

"Keefe?" Sophie asked. "What's going on?"

"Listen, Sophie, I have to tell you. I can't hold it back any longer." He flushed red for a second, and then said, "I love you, Foster."

"What? You...you love me?"

"Of course I do. You're smart, and brave, and beautiful. You never abandon your friends. You have always stuck by them no matter what happened. You stuck by me. So yes, of course I love y-"

Sophie leaned forward and pressed her lips against Keefe's. "I love you too."

"Really?"

"Yes." Sophie kissed Keefe again. "Just promise me one thing."

"Anything, Foster."

"Never leave me again. I can't think without you. I can't live without you. You make life worth living. You are always there to comfort me. I-"

Keefe stopped her rambling with another kiss. She kissed him back as he wrapped his arms around her.

Sophie felt something that she only felt around Keefe. She felt as if she were soaring high up in the air and she would never come down. She could be herself around him. Him, the only one who understood how she felt. She pulled away, looking at Keefe. He was always there for her. He had flaws, and she loved every single one of them.

They sat there, Sophie still wrapped in Keefe's arms, looking at the world around them. It was dangerous and challenging, but they both knew they would face those challenges together now. They were alone no more.