Chapter 9

Chapter 9

“Oh my god, we have to stop him. The only person can stop him is you Zach.” Said Max’s mom. “I can’t…..” I responded. I honestly don't think i can stop him when he goes crazy. When Max has his mind set on something, he dosen't change his mind. “Then we are going to your mothers.” She says. We walk out of the warehouse and get into her car. She drives off faster then what Max did. We get to the house in about 10 minutes which is good timing. I walk into the house and my parents rush in. “Zach, where did you go with that child?” Asked my father. Max’s mom walks in. Everyone’s face just drops to the floor. “That child just learned I didn’t die and I told him everything. Now he is going after his father.” She says violently. My mom stands there with a look of frightened in her face. “Let’s go now.” Mom yells. “Are you really helping that family?” Asked my father. “Yes I am.” Responded my mother. “Stay here Zach.” My mother demands. “I’m going. I am not leaving him alone.” I respond. I grab the keys to the Tahoe and start it up. I’m driving. I demanded. They get in and I drive off while squealing the tires. We get to his house in two minutes. And Max’s mom rushes out of the car before I even park. “Max?” She yells. We walk into the house and they are no where downstairs. We ran upstairs and Max’s dad has Cassie and Max tied up lying on the floor. “Honey?” He asked. “Max knows what you did.” She responds. His face turns in frustration and anger. He turns to me and says, “I’m going to have to kill all of you then.” We all look at each other. “Let them go, it is only between me and you.” Says Max’s mom to Max’s dad. “Fine, but if any of you say a word about this, you know what I will do.” He says and unties Max and his sister. “I can’t leave you with him mom.” Max says. “Go, I’ll be fine.” She demands. “I love you.” She added. We walk out of the room and Max stops. “Max, what are you doing?” I whispered. He ignores me and grabs the vase on the table in the hallway and walks back into the bedroom. He waits until he turns back around so he can hit him. “Why did you fake your death?!” He shouted. “To get away from you.” She responds. “We all know damn well that is not the truth. You try to blame this on me and that is not happening.” He turns around and that’s when Max goes for it. He walks up and hits him over the side of the head and he collapses into the floor. Max drops the vase in shock and sits down on the floor. “Honey, come on lets go. The cops can deal with it from here. Ok?” Max’s mom says. He keeps sitting in the floor. I walk up and pick him up. “Come on.” I demanded. I carry him down stairs and he pushes me away. “I need time to myself.” He says and walks out the door. I look out and see he’s sitting on the swing tied to the tree. “Go talk to him. When he says he wants to be alone, it actually means he needs someone to comfort him.” Max’s mom says. I smile to her and walked out the door. “You ok?” I ask while sitting down. “I can’t believe I did that.” He responds. “You had to do it. I know he is your father and everything, but sometimes you have to do something that you don’t want to do. He needed help. Big time. And it is neither your fault nor anyone else’s. Things happen for a reason and you just have to accept that. Even if it takes hitting your dad with a vase.” I pointed out. “I know he did some wrong and everything, but he is not a terrible father. He just drinks and do things that he doesn’t mean to do. I wish I could have stopped him from drinking. I could have stopped him. But…. I…. didn’t.” He starts to cry. I wrap my arm around him and say, “you couldn’t have stopped him. The only person who can stop him from being an alcoholic is himself. No one else can. It’s like stopping your self from smoking. No one nor anything can stop it. Only you can.” I respond back. He leans his head onto my shoulder and cries. I rock the swing back and forth. The sound of the police and the ambulance is in the background. I feel tear drops dripping onto my shoulder. I hear birds chirping really loud from the loud noise. People are looking out there doors to see what is going on. But the only thing I hear is Max.

I brought Max over to my house. While his mom and sister goes back to my grandmas. “What is he doing here?” Asked my father. “Dad, don’t seriously.” I demanded. He then knew what happened. He walks from the front room back to his office. “Come on, let’s go upstairs.” I say. We head upstairs and into my bedroom. He heads over to my window and stares out. I sat down in my bed and just look at the pain he is going through.

Couple minutes went by and he still is standing at the window. “Come over here.” I demanded. He turns around and walks towards the bed. I grab his hand and he sits. “I can’t stand to see you like this.” I said in disappointment. He frowns and wipes his tears. “Come on, I’m going to take you somewhere.” I said. He sighed and I pulled him down the stairs. “I don’t want to go anywhere.” He responds. “To bad nerd.” I laugh. He starts to laugh. See there is that smile. I said. We go out into the car and I drive off. “Where are we going? He said bitterer. “You’ll see.” I respond and grab his hand. I drive to downtown Charleston and go to a tall building. “Where are we?” He asks. “Just watch.” We take an elevator to the top floor then take the stairs to the roof. I cover up his eyes before we walk up the stairs. “What are you doing?” He laughs. “Look.” I demanded. He opens his eyes and sees downtown Charleston. “It’s so high up.” He says. “This is amazing.” He added. The sun starts to go down through the buildings. “Now you get to see a sunset on top of a tall building. I mean that is on your bucket list right?” I ask. “How’d you know?” He responded. “I know more about you then you actually know.” I smile. “Oh so you’ve been stalking me?” He asks while walking towards me. “Um, you can say that.” I laugh. “No but you didn’t think I actually cared about you. But I did. We had a few classes together. Even though my friends are an ass doesn’t mean I am.” I added. “Well, you kind of were.” He laughs. “But you like my ass.” I winked. “Well, I had a theory nerd.” I Added gently.. “And what is that?” He asks. “Well the theory was, if I was a bigger ass would you notice me more or less.” I replied. “Your theory was correct. I noticed you big time.” He laughs and kisses me. He walks towards the center of the roof and stand there. I walk up to him and wrap my arms around his waist. “You know what will be cute right now?” He asked. “What’s that?” I whispered into his ear and laid my head on his shoulder. “Sunset music from my Spotify playlist.” He says and smiles. He grabs his phone and shuffles the sunset playlist. The soothing music starts to play and he looks at me then smiled. His smile reminds me of how the sun shines bright. No matter of what he goes through, he always has a smile on his face. I begin to stare at him in the eyes and whispered, “Dance with me.” He turns around and wraps his arms around my neck and we begin to dance to the music.