⚓︎ 𝙇𝙞𝙛𝙚𝙡𝙞𝙣𝙚 ⚓︎

The next morning came terribly fast. Much too fast. My mind kept replaying the scene in which Jared and his friends jumped around me and howled like a pack of monkeys.

The night was unbearable. But finally, I slept. It was an amazing feeling, recharging my energy after a long day.

By the time I woke up, all the girls around me had disappeared— off to classes they had gone. I rose out of bed and changed into a dark sweater and jeans, then I tied my hair into a low bun.

I made my way down the staircase and into the common room, where not a single soul seemed to lurk about. I grabbed a book from one of the many shelves, then reclined onto the dark red sofa.

Romeo and Juliet— a classic love story from my world. I began reading it, my thoughts all about the book and nothing else. It was a nice way to get my mind off of things, even if it is just for a bit.

Soon enough, a heavy-breathing, curly-headed Hermione barged into the common room. She was practically panting like a dog. I closed my book and sat it next to me, a concerned expression on my face.

"All students to the courtyard now. Lucius Malfoy has just appeared, and threatened to kill us all. Grab your wand." She said frantically, her words coming out in a jumble.

I ran up the stairs as fast as I could, grabbing my wand from my bed. I ran back down the stairs and out of the common room, then all the way down Gryffindor tower.

My mind was absolutely chaotic, and my heart was racing. Lucius threatening such a thing could chart the end of this school. I made twists and turns down the hallway, until I reached the courtyard, where students had been piled everywhere.

I weaved my way through the tightly-packed students, my eyes peeled for Draco. His heap of blond hair was standing idly in a small clearing, near Crabbe and Goyle.

He turned around to face me as I only got a few steps away, blue eyes full of rage. But the moment he saw me, his whole expression changed. From daring and evil to soft and vibrant.

"What's going on?" I asked quietly, my voice trembling. He took my hand on his, the coolness of his hand shooting up my body. I shivered slightly, but kept my eyes locked on his.

"My father. He's directed a threat toward the school, but we're standing our ground. For the well-being of Hogwarts and its future." His voice was cold-toned. I nodded and stepped closer to him, pulling my head down toward the stone below.

"He won't hurt you. I promise." Draco half-smiled, trying to brighten my mood. I shook my head in understanding. I knew Draco would fend for me with his life, so I wasn't worried about myself. But I was worried about him.

All the students heads turned, including mine, as a tall, blond-headed male with demanding features stepped onto one of the courtyard's podiums. He held a long stick, which I assumed was to balance himself.

His blue eyes trailed across all the students, one by one. I felt my heart drop as his eyes landed on mine. Though it may have only been a few moments, it felt like his eyes were grinding my soul.

Then his eyes looked to Draco, who stared right at his father with not the slightest bit of mercy. I clenched his hand a bit harder. Then, Lucius looked away, and continued along his assortment of students.

"Ah, dear students. Today, I am looking for one child in particular," he spoke calmly, voice booming from the stone. I stood idly, my mind leaping to a sudden thought. Dumbledore was missing. He would be here, I know it, but he's not. In fact, I couldn't see any teachers at all.

"I am looking for Harry Potter." He spoke with a sly grin, one that I imagined a snake would have. He was devious, cunning, and would stop at nothing, not even death, to get what he wants.

The crowd looked at one another, as if trying to find the famed Harry Potter. Then, everyone's heads turned the same way, toward the boy with the lightning mark.

Hermione's fingers were tugging at the silk of his robe, as if clinging onto him like a lifeline. He seemed distraught, like he knew such a day would be coming.

"Ah, The Chosen One." He smiled poetically, as if trying to hide his deviance. But it wasn't working. Everyone could see through those  devilish eyes of his.

Harry took a step forward, toward Lucius, and Hermione tried to pull him back. But he didn't seem to care.

As Harry tried to continue walking, a certain familiar gray-haired wizard bursted through the courtyard, accompanied by, though not limited to, McGonagall, Snape, Flitwick, Hagrid, and Lupin, all holding their wands ablaze.

Harry stopped walking, and Lucius turned toward the teachers running toward him. His eyes grew wide as they ran with their wands pointed directly at him.

Lucius seemed to remember his thoughts, though, because in a few moments, he hit the walking stick along the stone three times, and then he disappeared. Just like that. Into thin air.

The teachers stopped running, and instead, began weaving through the crowd of students, accounting for everyone. Hermione was yelling at Harry, probably because he was willing to sacrifice himself for the school.

I looked to Draco, who seemed to be frozen, staring off where his father just stood. I grasped my fingers tighter around his, which seemed to allow him to reign his senses.

"You can't help what has become of your father." I said quietly, trying to help him figure out that he's nothing like his father, that Lucius has become a dark mind and there's no helping him.

"I know." Draco whispered quietly, rubbing the fingers that clutched onto mine along the back of my palm. His touch was so delicate and soft, even in the moment of everything bad.