Chapter Seven

Luke's P.O.V.

Luke felt a sharp pierce through his eyelids, that caused him to weakly, and slowly open his eyes. The blankets on his bed were all kicked around. He tended to do that when he got a poor night's sleep. Last night he had finished his chemistry homework, then had dinner with his parents, but when he went back up to his room for the night, he discovered a math worksheet he had completely forgotten about, and after spending forty-five minutes on it, and thinking he was done, flipped it over to figure out there was another side. It was past twelve when he finally lied down in his bed, but he couldn't fall asleep. He was in that state of complete tiredness, and wanting nothing more than to just get a good night's rest, and sleep, but for some reason it was impossible to do just that. He uncomfortably lied in his bed, flipping around, switching sides he was lying on, just trying to rest, for a couple of hours until he finally fell asleep. Even though he knew it had to be at least an hour, Luke wasn't quite sure just how long he was lying in his bed, and wasn't sure how late it was until he fell asleep.

Luke then tiredly grabbed his phone on his bedside table to check the time. It was ten minutes until his bus arrived. What!? My alarm is set to go off at- Luke then remembered that he never set his alarm last night. He was so tired after finishing his homework, he forgot. You would've thought in the long period of time I was lying in my bed that it would have occurred to me to set it. Luke was now tired, and mad at himself. If he missed the bus, he could always walk to school, but he still felt extremely unrested, and doubted if he would be able to make it to school on time by walking. So instead he just decided to book it, and get ready as fast as possible.

He quickly got up, and changed out of his pajamas into regular attire. Since he didn't have time to take a shower, he just stuck his head into his sink to wash his hair, and then quickly brushed his teeth afterward.

After getting dressed, and ready, Luke sped down the stairs and into the kitchen. There he found his mom sitting at the table in their kitchen, with a cup of coffee. She had her hair up in a messy bun, and was wearing her reading glasses, which made sense, since she was reading some book as she was drinking her coffee.

"Hey Luke," she greeted, "Wait-isn't the bus already out there? Why are you-"

Luke quickly ran into the kitchen, grabbed a granola bar out of the pantry, and ran out. "Sorry mom. Woke up late. Gotta go!" Luke ran to the house entrance, and opened the door.

"Oh, uh, love you!" he heard his mom call out.

"Love you too!" he replied, and then ran out the house. He saw the bus at the end of his street, and darted to it. He got there just about in time. He could tell the bus driver was about to close the door, but they saw him, and luckily weren't a jerk, and waited for him to get on.

As Luke walked onto the bus, he chose a seat that didn't have anyone else there. He felt like sitting alone. As soon as he sat down, he felt a wave of tiredness flush over him again. When he found out he woke up late, he gained some adrenaline, and got ready quickly, but after knowing he didn't have to move anymore, he felt the same as he did when he woke up. Except now he was also winded. Maybe he would have rised to the occasion, and been able to make it to school on foot if he missed the bus. Luke didn't think about it much though, because he would much rather be on the bus like he is now. This was actually one of the few times he was thankful he and Zander weren't on the same bus. Despite the fact that their houses were a ten minute walk apart, between them was the cut off line for bus zones. Most of the time Luke was salty about it, because if they were on the same bus, they could take the bus home together, and ride to school together, but today Luke was thankful he could just be alone. He did really want to talk with Zander, but he wasn't in the right state of mind to do it. He needed to savor every bit of rest he could get on this bus before school.