Chapter Eight

Luke's P.O.V.

They had finally gotten band rehearsals started on schedule, with everyone there. Well, technically everyone was there, but Luke wasn't sure he could count himself. The night of terrible sleep he got was starting to sink in. He was pretty sure that the stress of Zander being mad at him was keeping him more awake, and now that that was gone, he was left a tired, exhausted shell of a human.

He was listening to what to him, sounded like the muffled sounds of Hailey explaining what the club would do during rehearsals. He heard something about how the club had been slacking recently, and another thing about song development. All of the sudden, he saw Zander giving him this concerned look. He was confused, Why is he looking at me like that? That's when he realized he was sitting at his drum set, resting part of himself on the drums, and had just been staring at Zander through rehearsals, for who knows how long.

He quickly sat up, and shot his eyes away, "Sorry. I got like, three hours of sleep last night. And the sleep I did get was terrible."

Zander gave him a quick look of acknowledgement in response, and looked back toward Hailey to listen to her. Luke tried to do the same. He was able to focus in a little more on what was happening.

Hailey spoke orderly, "Okay. I think we should try to decide what style of music we want to go with for our song at the band competition. Sean and I wanted to work on some tracks, but we can't really do that until we know what genre we're going for."

"My vote is still on classical," Zander stated, very blatantly.

"Ugh," Milly groaned, "No one is going to want to vote for us in the competition if we play your stuffy old classical songs Zander!"

"They're not called songs. They're called pieces, Milly! And I'd rather play actual good music, then play some phoney pop music, just to win. Ninety percent of pop songs are written about love, from people who have probably never even experienced it!"

Luke, still in his loopy state, was humoured by Zander's anger, and laughed out loud, "Well, Zander, I wr-" he then quickly stopped himself from talking, and put his hand over his mouth. He hadn't even realized he was going to say until he started saying them. Well, Zander, I wrote a song about love, and I love you. He was glad he was able to cut himself off.

Milly cocked her head, and asked, "Eh, are you okay Luke?"

"Y-yeah! I just had a really bad night's sleep," Luke responded.

Milly then turned around to her backpack, and shuffled it around, clearly looking for something. She then pulled out a drink, and held it out, "I got this iced coffee on the way to school to drink. I was going to have it later today, but I think you need it more than me.

Luke got up from the drum set, and grabbed the coffee from Milly, "Thank you." He then headed back to his drums.

"Okay," Hailey said, drawn out, "To get back on track. Zander, we can play more modern music without it being pop. And we most certainly don't have to write a love song. But we could always have some more classical piano instrumentals in the background, and have more modern vocals."

Zander seemed to be somewhat satisfied by this answer, "Okay."

The rest of rehearsals played out pretty smoothly. Almost immediately, Luke felt more energized from the coffee. He was concerned for a second how much caffeine was actually in the drink, and almost asked Milly, but was a little too scared to hear the answer, and decided to just continue drinking.

Near the end of rehearsals, Zander checked his watch, "We have two minutes left."

"Okay," Hailey replied, "I've actually been meaning to bring this up for awhile. With the band competition coming up, thirty minutes of time each day in school really isn't enough time to get any proper work done. So I was thinking, maybe this weekend, we could do some out of school rehearsals for a couple of hours. Probably at Zander and I's house since we have the most musical equipment there," Hailey turned to Jake, "Unless you have a huge musical room in your with somehow a bunch of instruments?"